Friday, October 3, 2008

Confessions of a 20-something wife and mother

1) I sincerely like to cloth diaper. Perhaps an odd amount. And I can't really pinpoint why. All the options? The way a little baby bum looks swaddled in cloth? The cheapness? The feel of a clean, fresh diaper straight out of the dryer? Sweet wool longies? Clean covers drying on the countertop? I am not sure... but I am addicted.

2) My kids are really awesome people. Seriously. They are highly entertaining. Like right now, Isaac is sitting next to me drawing food on the Magna Doodle for me to "eat". We have been doing this for a good ten minutes. Issy is playing dress-up (a white flower girl dress, Cinderella crown and shoes, a furry coat and she is holding her baby doll. And Liam just shut himself in their room and is probably getting into trouble ;)

3)And my children also drive me nuts. Each one of them at least once a day. There are times that I think that if they whine at me one more time I might spontaneously combust. It hasn't happened yet...

4)Before last December, I hadn't ever baked anything from scratch in my adult life. In my mind I had built up baking as this huge, tough thing. But I bit the bullet and it really wasn't so bad. Fun, even. Very tasty, definitely.

5)I have known my husband for 12 years, we have been together for 8 years and married for 6 years and he is still my best friend and there isn't anyone I would rather spend time with. He is an amazing Dad (I have never seen a man that is so at ease and patient with teeny tiny babies) and he puts up with my idiosyncrasies with minimal complaints. Amazing guy, he is.

6) Bodily fluids no longer bother me. I have cleaned up enough accidents, changed enough diapers and been with enough sick kids that very little grosses me out anymore. Dog poo is still yucky.

7) I really want to get a tattoo, but haven't found the "right one" (and am a bit chicken) so it hasn't happened yet. I don't want to get one just to get one and don't want to be hasty, so I suppose it will probably wait a few more years.

8) I had no idea 6 years ago when I was pregnant with Issy that being a parent would change me so drastically. Things that I didn't have any opinion about are some of my strongest held beliefs now. Becoming a mother has made me realize things about myself that I would not have learned in 50 years without my children.

4 comments:

Patty Arnold said...

"There are times that I think that if they whine at me one more time I might spontaneously combust."

mhmm.....and i would add that i sometimes stand there in shock that i haven't.

mary said...

i really think my brain did explode yesterday during a particularly irrational fit by ol benny boy.

great post erin. you do have great kids and an awesome husband, but your pretty cool yourself.

as always, thanks for sharing your life with us via blog-it makes you guys not seem so far away.

Erika Marie said...

the other day, I was so overwhelmed I felt like combusting, but instead cried and that felt much better...it's amazing how much the simple noise of whining can get at me.

Erika Marie said...

patty-I miss you! No more blogging for you these days, eh?