Monday, February 16, 2009

Modifying the Very Baby All-in-One pattern to be a fitted

Before Liam was born, I bought the Very Baby AIO pattern to make some fitted diapers for him. I had heard good things about the way it fit and it seemed simple. Since I wanted an absorbent diaper to be used with a cover instead of having it's own waterproof part, the pattern needed some modifying. Some of these modifications are just personal preference and don't change the way the diaper works or fits, mostly just aesthetics and I will note that.
The tedious part, cutting out the pieces. I have an outer layer (hot air balloon flannel), inner layer (it has been a while since I bought this, but I want to say blue suede cloth... it is very soft against the skin) and some scrap cotton that I will sew the abosorbent layers too. This middle part will not be seen at all, so I just get cheap stuff out of the clearance fabric. Note: if you are going to use light colored outer or inner, make sure you use a light colored scrap, you don't want this showing through.Sew the absorbant layers to the scrap piece of cotton. I am using a microfiber towel here, trifolded (for a newborn). You can get these in the automotive department of walmart or target, they are relatively cheap and very absorbent. Any kind of cotton works well too, though, so a cut up old t-shirt will do if that is what you have. You kind of have to tweak layers to find out what works as far as absorbancy. You want a balance of what works for your baby/something that cleans well and doesn't take forever to dry. I suggest erring on the side of less until you figure out what works, since you can always throw a doubler in if you need to.

This is one of those personal preference steps. The directions call for sewing all the aplix on at the same time after you have put the diaper together. I, personally, like to sew the aplix that will be on the outer on before I put the diaper together. Less layers to go through.

Now we are going to put the diaper together. Here are the layers before you pin it: the outer (balloons) and inner (blue) go right sides together. Then put the absorbant layer on top, pad down. Pin these together before you sew them, pinning the sides, and what will end up being the top back (the long part). Leave the short part (what will be the front) open so that you can turn it rightside out later.All three layers sewed together. Get ready for the elastic.The pattern has marked where to put the elastic for the legs and back. I think it works well. After you are done with the elastic, turn the right side out. The the absorbant pad should be against the inner and the right sides should end up out on both the inner and outer.Personal preference again. After I turn it right sides out, I straight stitch along the outer edge of the elastic. This makes for a tidier edge. I do this for both the leg elastic and the top back elastic.Fold over the part that did not end up being sewed together with the rest of the diaper. Sew these top edges together.
Sew on the aplix. The outer ones on each side close the diaper. The inner ones are so you can fold over the outer ones for non-sticking in the laundry.
On my top outer flannel, I sew on some more aplix so that I can pull it over to make it snugger.All done!

3 comments:

Monica said...

Awesome!! What a great tutorial. I'm going to send this to my mom (the resident expert and owner of the sewing machine) and see what she thinks. If she thinks it's a go, I'm going to order a pattern. Thanks for all the hints and details, I work much better with something like that. And the pictures are super helpful. Thanks again, Erin!

Erika Marie said...

wow, can you send me some of your crafty energy!

Erin said...

You'll get it ;) I remember when Michelle started all of her crafting when I was still feeling sick and trying to imagine having enough energy to do it too. It came eventually!