Gracious, it was a heck of a day. I'll cut to the chase, in case you just want the scoop. And if you don't mind my rambling, you can stay. Adelle looks fine. We got in there and did the MCA first and it was just as it should be. Doctor came in to check and see if we could do the amnio today. She had moved to head down, as I thought she had (hooray!) and there was a nice space right up by her tush. So we did it. She did fine during the amnio, no flailing movements. Heartbeat was good afterwards.
The long version: Got up early, got Issy up and dressed (She went with me since Joe wasn't going. We had a discussion about what they would do and if she thought she wanted to go still.) We left by seven for the nine o'clock appointment. It had snowed Monday night, Tuesday and Tuesday night and the roads were bad. I hate driving in snow. It was slow and steady torture. I did fine, I am getting better at it, I just prefer not to- which is good since Joe prefers to. It was like two hours of a really unfun video game. Bleh.
So we got there at nine and I have to say that I have never had a dr's appt last that short of an amount of time. It was great. They just took me back, did the sono, did the amnio, and bam! out the door. Like 45 minutes from the time I walked in to the time I walked out. This seriously cut down on the anxiety that comes with having to wait and wait and wait. Adelle was finally cooperative with the sonographer and I got to she her profile. She is lovely. She had her hand curled up by her face. Issy was very good distraction during my amnio, she just held my hand and I talked to her. She is a very loving and empathic little girl, I am glad she is mine :)
The unfortunate part about the very short and efficient appointment was that it meant that after only a short reprieve we had to get back in the car and drive the two hours back. Had I not just had an amnio, I would have gone somewhere to hang out, but that just didn't sound appealing at the time. So we did. The upside (because I like to try to be an optimist) is that the tedious drive back kept my mind off of worrying about the baby. We arrived home safely and are no worse for the wear.
Adelle has been feisty the rest of the day and I have been trying to rest. I am still a bit crampy, but that happens. I hope to feel better after a good night's sleep. I feel confident in my doctor's ability... when I asked what his personal statistics were with doing amnios, he said he hasn't lost a baby yet. And I am really glad to be done with it.
So now we wait. Probably a couple of weeks. We go back for the MCAs the next couple of weeks until we find out either way. If she is positive... more MCAs. If she is negative, we leave her alone. So that is our story. We appreciate all the love and support and prayers that we have received so far!
2 comments:
So is the result of the amnio not immediate? Or was it, and everything is ok for now? I guess I'm still confused :p
But I'm glad that it's finally over and done with, and even happier that you had a little friend to go along! It must be wonderful to have a child you can actually hold a decent conversation with. :)
Nope the results of the amnio aren't immediate. I have no idea the intricacies of it, but something about having to culture the DNA, so the results take a couple of weeks.
Your kids will both get to the "decent conversation" stage eventually ;) It was nice, though, she is really sweet and pretty in tune with other people's feelings.
Post a Comment