Yesterday evening, the weather was gorgeous. Warm, sunny, not too windy (for Kansas, at least). Just perfect for a nice jog outside.
I told Joe I wanted to go after dinner. He looked at me like I was slightly crazy but agreed to hang out with the kiddos. I putting on my running shoes, walked out of my neighborhood for a warmup and then took off.
I ran (HA!) into a problem pretty quickly. I wanted to run on the country road semi-close to my house. Because there is no frontage road that cuts all the way through, to get to it I would have to run 1/4? 1/3? of a mile in the ditch of the highway. Uneven ground. Trash. Very conspicuous.
Not very far into it, I remembered why I don't run. I find that it is one of those better-in-theory-than-in-practice kind of things for me. It makes my lungs burn. It makes my cesarean scar ache something fierce. I should say that once I got to 215th street, it was much better. I walked/jogged alongside a field of little green shoots of wheat and got appreciate the sun setting in the big sky.
Perhaps I would enjoy it more if I did it more often? I wouldn't be out of shape and the unpleasantness wouldn't be so unpleasant? All those good endorphins?
Or perhaps I will stick to walking briskly. And reading people's blogs about running. Like my friend Barefoot Angie Bee I will just live vicariously through her and my other running friends :)
6 comments:
you can walk briskly to my house!!! : ) one of these days i'm going to get the bike and trailer out and show up at your door.
Every time I read Angela's blog I want to run barefoot for miles and then I remember that I don't run. I just don't run. living vicariously is much more enjoyable. Good on you to try though.
I started running last fall and then it got cold. On these nice evenings, it seems like a good idea again!!
i know the feeling. it does take some time to get into it. As much as I used to dis treadmill runners, I have to say that it's helped to work my way up on the treadmill and then try it in the real world.
this barefoot running thing is really intriguing to me since I can never find a good pair of shoes.
work into it slowly. And I'm with "simplemama" treadmills are great - so convenient.
Also - Angie is just amazing isn't she?!!?!
YMCA partner right here if you'd like one :)
And I'm with Bianca. I don't run. Except errands, I run those.
Post a Comment