Friday, May 13, 2011

Baby update

I wrote this on Thursday, the 12th, but blogger was down, so here you go:

Had another MCA today and George is looking great- well out of transfusion range. We are still on the MCAs every two weeks along with growth every four (which will be next time). The doctor stopped in and chatted a few minutes. He said that as long as everything kept looking good we could do MCAs through 35 weeks and then at 36 or 37 do an amnio to test the bilirubin level and to test lung maturity. We can keep doing the MCAs after 35 weeks, they just aren't as accurate. If the baby is moving, it can make the measurement artificially high and indicate anemia where there is none (which is likely what happened with Liam, I suspect).

But he was very encouraging about waiting things out if the baby looked fine. If his bilirubin level looks fine at the 36/37 week amnio, we will probably continue to do MCAs (understanding the limitations) and wait it out for him. The doctor thought it was great that I was able to have VBACs with the last two, especially how we handled Liam's induction. He said that the best case was for me to be able to go into labor on my own.

So I suppose at this point we continue to hope that George is unaffected (uneffected? why can I never remember that one?) and that he decides to make his appearance on the slightly early side so we don't have to worry about him. I think I am growing another big boy, which should be interesting. I have no doubt I can birth a big baby (it's in my blood) but you know, August in Kansas, big baby in womb.

Overall, I am very encouraged and very pleased by my care this time. Less than halfway to go now!

2 comments:

Monica said...

Good update, Erin. Thanks. Glad to know things seem to be going favorably on all fronts. That's a blessing in itself for sure.

Becky said...

Good update! I hope things continue to go well.