Monday, February 13, 2012

That in between time

As I was preparing to write today's post, it made me think back to this one that I wrote when we were preparing to move the first time.  That seems like forever ago.  But Joe left yesterday to go start work in Wisconsin and I find myself in a similar situation- me and my (now five) littles are hanging out here, packing up our things.  I should correct myself. They are not packing. They are attempting to behave themselves so I can pack. And actually, I am not packing, I am paralyzed into inactivity by the amount of work I need to do.  When Joe was here, he would start packing a box and I would be forced to a) pack a box myself or b) feel bad that I wasn't doing my part (I should note- he didn't make me feel bad. It was self imposed guilt.) Now all I have to go on is internal motivation. This is not good news, considering I am a classic procrastinator. So instead, I'll share some pictures.  And then see if I can muster the internal fortitude to just pack a box.

In other news, since we are moving, we got family pictures taken with my family and with Joe's.  I have mine to share- Joe has his family's. I will have to see if I can get them from him sometime. These are my people:


It is times like this (and many others) that I wish my mother were alive. I think this picture would make her very happy.  If I imagine real hard, I can picture her in that space beside my Dad where she should be. Is that weird? On occasion I allow myself to fantasize about this alternate reality where she is still alive and I call her to chat every other day (um, or every day maybe) and she loves my little family as much as Joe's mom does. And sometimes we disagree and she thinks I am a little nutty for breastfeeding past a year old and having a baby at home and cloth diapering but she loves me anyways.

Sigh. Sorry for that digression. Well, it isn't looking good for packing a box tonight. Maybe tomorrow will be my day.

5 comments:

ArmyWife said...

my how everyone has grown - such a beautiful family! i can picture your mother in there too, i know for a fact that the picture would and does make her very happy.
since the loss of my grandma, we have all chosen to believe that she is up there now visiting with little cameron and telling him about herself and his family. she loves him already and when we all meet again, it will be like no time has passed.
good luck with the packing - if nothing else, it looks like you have plenty of ready-made helpers that you can call on!

Monica said...

What a great picture.

You amaze me. You really do. I don't know how you do it, but wow. I will quit complaining about the small things that gripe me.

Can I send a meal here in the next few weeks, would that help you out any?

Erin said...

Michelle- yes, it is nice to have an intercessor for me and my children up there already.

Thank you, Monica. A meal would be lovely if you can spare the time.

Monica said...

I'll message you on FB and we'll figure something out. I'd love to help in that way.

Dorothy Gale said...

I am often paralyzed into inactivity. I can totally relate. If we didn't have the army to move us, I'd still be living in Oklahoma. Your family is beautiful and your mom would be proud!