My children are such good little learners, they are pretty agreeable to whatever I have come up with to work on. My first year, we used Mother of Divine Grace which was a good start, but I found it a little dry to teach.
This year, I have done a more eclectic approach-
Math U See
Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons
a little science experiment book (the name escapes me currently)
The Usborne Complete Book of Art Ideas
a book of ideas for the different liturgical seasons and feast days (which name also escapes me right now. I can picture the front of the book, but not the title).
When I first started to think about homeschooling, a friend lent me the book Real Learning by Elizabeth Foss. At the time, Issy was 5, Isaac was 3 1/2 and Liam was 2 (and quite a handful) and I just needed things spelled out for me. Hence, MODG. But I am revisiting some Real Learning ideas (basically, an education built on living books) and since I don't feel so much in crisis mode of parenting right now, I think it is something I would like to take on. I have been visiting Mrs. Foss' Serendipity blog and am looking at doing the Alphabet Path with the kiddos. Sticking with Math U See, since they have already started on it and they like it a lot. She also has a ton (an overwhelming amount!!) of ideas for feast days and such. So many resources, it is so hard to choose for an indecisive person like me!
I have to admit that I am feeling a little down about not homeschooling in Idaho. I was really looking forward to doing our nature study along hiking trails in the forest. Kansas is beautiful in it's own way, but it is just really hard to compare with the awesomeness that is Yellowstone. Hopefully, someday in Colorado, though.
6 comments:
good luck with all that, sounds like a great adventure. i'm sure you'll find some good nature things to explore here. and you have a great zoo close by too. you'll do just fine. :)
I loooove the zoo. It is the best place in Wichita :)
I don't know if you've read much of Love2Learn Mom but she's got me considering homeschooling quite seriously at the moment. Kurt isn't sold on the idea yet but Kate's just turned 2 so there's time and prayer that continue. Thanks for the post.
there is plenty of nature and learning to be had out at the farm. you are always welcome out here for nature/science/friend studies!
No, I hadn't checked her out, thanks for introducing me, Angie :)
Oh, Jackie, we would love that! It has been too long, I haven't seen your little baby belly for a while!
Blogger needs a like buttone. I like this post, and I am ear marking it for my own future homeschooling ideas/endeavors.
Post a Comment