When I was a little girl, I was always so excited about the first day of school (that changed when I was about 16 :P). I could hardly sleep the night before, awake with the anticipation of everything that lie ahead. Even though the kids aren't
going to school I was hoping to give them a little piece of that excitement. We talked about everything we were planning this year, the fun, the lessons, what they would like to learn about. All in all, yesterday was a pretty good day, although it showed me what might need some tweaking. I feel like every year we do this, the more comfortable I get with it, the more enthusiastic I get and they really respond to that. Here is to a great year!

Sketching pictures of apple trees.

Morning prayer time. Isaac was trying to get Adelle to look up, she just wanted to look at the book.
Since I have been dwelling on all the things that are unsatisfactory about my life right now (not here on my blog, but in my head) I am going to say how grateful I am for this morning. There was a thunderstorm last night, which left the morning coolish, breezy, cloudy and green. The perfect morning to open up a window, sit down with my cup of coffee and breathe fresh air. My heart aches for the mountains most days, so days like this make Kansas ok. I am very, very grateful for that.
5 comments:
You definitely inspire me with this undertaking of schooling your little ones. I'm sure they're very excited to see what you have in store for them!
If you haven't thought of it already, there is a pick your own peach/apple orchard in Conway Springs (peaches are at the end of their season right now but apples are just ripening and they have 14 varieties!). It was an easy 30 minute drive from our house. The trees are all the perfect height for the kids to help with the picking - even Claire could pick (and eat!) for herself. Steffen Orchards is the name of it. I found it by Googling "you pick KS" and the different places are organized by county, this one was toward the bottom of the page. It might be a fun "field trip" for the kiddos, and you could probably make some sort of a science experiment out of it by making applesauce, apple butter, pie, muffins and all sorts of other fun stuff with everything you pick. If you want to try canning some stuff I have all the necessary supplies and would be happy to loan them to you "for educational purposes" of course!
Neat post. Very inspiring. What a blessed time. I remember when I taught at St. Margaret Mary and had the same feelings with each passing year...it got easier, I was more confident and enthusiastic and able to better relate to my students by tweaking what I'd previously done and just "knowing the system". Happy things are going well.
Beautiful Erin! You speak to my teacher heart. What are you doing with the kids for morning prayer?
Yay for the first day of school! I'm so lucky that I have an awesome "little" sister that understands the joys and obstacles with learning at home. I love you and will pray for a great school year for you and we should say a joint prayer that our toddlers will take it easy on us this year :)
Thanks for the information, Elizabeth. I had thought about going apple picking in September when the days were cooler, now I have a place to go :) Canning intimidates me, I'll have to think on it and let you know.
Angie, we are currently just doing a kids morning offering that they were given at "Sunday school".
Moo- I am glad to have you as a resource, you always have the best ideas :) And yes, let's hope that Adelle and Zane are patient, happy little people this year!
Post a Comment