Thursday, August 5, 2010

Those moments.

We started "Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing" by Judy Blume a few days ago as our chapter book read aloud (just finished the Mouse and the Motorcycle books). Yesterday evening, I had started a chapter, we read a while and then I had to go take Adelle and put her to bed. So Issy took the book, sat on the couch and proceeded to read it. When I came back 10 minutes later, I asked her some questions about what she had read to check her reading comprehension and wow, yes, she had been reading. I know she can read- she really looked off reading-wise in January (and she reads things over my shoulder :P), last night was just one of those moments when I saw her growing up. Worlds are opening up for her. Wow. And sigh.

My baby Adelle grows, too. At nearly 14 months, she says: Dada, ow, no, nigh-night, bye-bye, cheeeeeese (for the camera- not too shocking) and my favorite- she walks around with a blanket on her head and makes oooooooooo ghosty noises (the big kids taught her that, they all do it together).

They all grow. Too fast.

1 comment:

j 29:11-13 said...

How has no one commented on this so far? I am an intermittent blog checker, I know, but I really liked this post. One of the secret joys of parenthood is seeing your children's reactions to chapter books you loved. I don't know how I'll handle Jude learning to read. I get all proud papa when we play Twister and he can correctly call at Right and Left by looking at the first letters. (Jude is almost always the spinner/caller-twisting is beneath him) Oh, these kids grow too fast.