Monday, February 25, 2013

Journal: The groundhog must've mistaken

Out my window: 30 degrees and grey.  It snowed another 5 inches last week, but it got up to 40 and was sunny yesterday so some of it melted.  Maybe more snow tomorrow night?  It was a super beautiful snow last week, so I can't complain too much. And it is better than being in Kansas currently.

Clothing myself in: Jeans, fair isle sweater, wool socks.

Around the house: Currently trying decide on a new mirror and light for our master bedroom.  Both the hallway bathroom and ours did have a large medicine cabinet with 3 mirrors that opened.  Well, Liam was trying to close the mirror in the hallway one day and there was something in the way and instead of moving it, he just kept pushing- and broke two of the mirrors. So we moved two from our bedroom into the hallway. And now we are going to replace it with a mirror and light. And maybe an inset cabinet on the side.

The toddler: Oh my. He is feeling better.  His mood has improved considerably. Buuuuut, his sleeping has been off the charts awful. Getting up 2 or 3 times and then awake for the day around 4:30.  Insanity. And his napping, with a couple of exceptions, has been abysmal, too. This too shall pass? Or is this the new normal?  I don't know. It sucks, but what can you do? I can't make him sleep, as much as I wish I could. I am also trying to figure out why, which is not revealing any obvious answers. He does have one incisor left to cut. He has been talking up a storm. And we switched him to a bed instead of a crib. I guess any one of those things could be causing it, but not sure.

He won the battle of the kitchen.  I tried to baby proof it, I did. But he was just too pesty. I couldn't make dinner without him messing with the stove knobs, I was afraid he would scale the stove and burn his hand, he would pull things off the cabinet, snatch stuff if people were coloring or eating at the table, steal stuff when I was trying to load the dishwasher. So we bought another gate and we gated off the reading nook/ kitchen/ dining area for now. I did the dishes the morning with minimal hassle (he stood at the gate for a bit and whined before going to play), I was able to let Adelle color without him taking and eating the crayons. It was  a good solution, at least for now.

Words this week: thank you, cookie, if you say "one" he will say "two, three". Stand up. Hey, what's that? Georgie, boot, hat. It has been a crazy talking week around here.

Crafting: I am knitting myself a green shrug out of Blue Sky Alpacas worsted cotton in Pickle. I found a pattern on Ravelry that I liked, but didn't want to buy it and it seemed simple enough, so I am winging it. We will see how it goes.  Want to wear it for Easter if it turns out ok.

In the kitchen: Stew, chili and grilled cheese with tomato soup for Friday.

Bringing me joy: I might have mentioned it before, but I love it when George falls asleep on Joe in Church. Nothing cuter than seeing my sweet hubby holding my sleeping toddler. A clean kitchen. Standing on the back deck in a sweater and jeans, feeling the warm sun on my face. Quiet Sunday afternoon.

Thinking about: How happy I am it is almost March.

Pictures to share: Shoveling on Saturday morning.




4 comments:

Monica said...

OH sleep. No advice here. It is hard. I was thinking the other night how far Kolbe has come though. It gives me hope. Here's some hope to your situation.

Looking forward to seeing the shrug, sounds cute!

Erika Marie said...

I woke up last night around 4:30/5 and prayed for you. Don't know if you were awake but the prayers were sent nonetheless.
I hope he does settle down soon for you though.
Who is it that fell in the snow? Or is that the dog?
I feel like there was more I was going to say but now forgot...

Erin said...

I was indeed awake. Thank you for the prayers. I am not sure how much longer my sanity can handle his shenanigans. I feel really bad for him, but I am simultaneously just really tired.

The second picture down? That is Joe :)

Erika Marie said...

I understand. Sleep deprivation is a beast. Look at Liam and know that one George will sleep better. You survived then and you'll survive again.