Clothing myself in: Black T-shirt, cloud pajama pants.
Around the house: Joe worked a lot on the basement while I was gone- mudding and sanding. We are now in full vacation recovery mode- getting everything out of the car (I tend to leave nonessentials in the car... for months) and putting it all away. Cleaning the house back up. I have all the things and I am going to make my own laundry soap today or tomorrow.
The toddler: When we were in Wichita, oh my! such a language explosion. He will repeat pretty much everything you ask him to now. Except for Issy. If you ask him to say Issy he will say Liam and then chuckle. Trouble baby. He does like to whisper "Wuv woo" when I lay him down to sleep which makes my heart all melty.
The kiddos: Issy had a good time at Totus Tuus camp and said she would like to do it again next year. We happened to run into an old acquaintance of mine whose daughter was going when we went to the bus stop. Her daughter Anna introduced herself to Issy and asked if she would like to sit next to her on the bus. So I felt relieved that she made a buddy so quickly!
Liam was good- he lost one of his top teeth after some concerted effort at bedtime one night.
Adelle had her birthday party with Grammie and Grandpa since they won't be here. Her actual birthday is tomorrow. I can't believe she is going to be four. It seems like just yesterday that she joined us quietly one evening. She really is such a joy.
And my Isaac. If you have been following along on facebook, we have had quite the drama with him. He was admitted last week to the hospital in Wichita for suspected Kawasaki disease. He had started running a fever and got a rash on Monday the 27th and ran one into Tuesday. Then it broke but he still was fatigued and his legs were hurting. His skin where the rash was started peeling. Then Sunday the 2nd, he started running a high fever, his legs were hurting so bad he couldn't walk. Over the next couple of days, I noticed the rash spread down to his upper leg, his tongue was strawberry red with spots, his eyes got red.
I took him into our old Wichita doctor on Wednesday who said he had Kawasaki and to take him to the hospital. Everyone at the hospital agreed he looked like a classic case of Kawasaki and they were just waiting for Thursday, so that they could document his fifth day of fever and begin treatment. But his fever broke. And they weren't counting his fever the previous week, for whatever reason. So they began treatment for scarlet fever and sent him home.
(I wrote the rest of this in the evening)
I took him into our pediatrician yesterday, who had gotten the results of the scarlet fever titers, which were negative. We saw the pediatric cardiologist today, who did some bloodwork and judging by his elevated liver enzymes and platelets said that he did indeed have Kawasaki. His echo and EKG were good today, so he is on aspirin and we will followup in 2 and 6 weeks with more echocardiograms and to make sure his liver enzymes and platelets are going down.
I am just so relieved to finally have answers so we can treat him appropriately. And upset that they were so quick to dismiss Kawasaki at the hospital in Wichita- they didn't even mention that it could be an atypical presentation of Kawasaki. And relieved that he is fine so far. And really, really relieved that we pursued this even though our dismissal instructions were to follow up with our doctor in three weeks. If we had missed this diagnosis and something had happened, I just... yeah. We aren't out of the woods yet, which is why the followups are important, but out of the most critical period.
Crafting: Some knitting.
In the Kitchen: Jambalaya for my girl's birthday, chicken salad sandwiches.
Bringing me joy: Being home, a girl baby and a boy baby for two of my good friends.
Thinking about: My children's health. Up to this point, I have very much taken for granted that they are generally healthy. I am in awe of parents who have children with chronic health issues, who take care of them, advocate for them and just do it.
He got sleepy on the way home from the tests today
Swinging on Grammie and Grandpa's porch swing.
Lemur in Kansas
2 comments:
This is a journal entry you'll hopefully look back on and be glad everything got resolved.
I didn't realize he had all those other symptoms - aside from the fever - and the progression of it all. No wonder you were concerned!
Kudos to you for not ignoring your mommy instincts and following through, even after the 'scarlet fever' diagnosis.
It was wonderful seeing everyone and I hope you have a restful and peaceful summer at home with your family.
I hope so. I think so.
Some of his symptoms I didn't really put together at the time- like the leg pain between the fevers. He had mentioned that his legs hurt and felt like he had pulled something, but I didn't think too much about it. And some of the other things- the red eyes, the really bad leg pain during the second fever, I thought was just because of the fever.
It was just as much Joe's daddy instincts, too. We make a good team.
Post a Comment