Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Craftiness!

I still have a couple of posts to finish up my Kansas pictures, but I am now getting behind on blogging current things, so here are some things we have been up to lately.

The nesting is in full force! Starting in my second trimester, I began to knit a wool diaper cover stash for the baby. And here it is! I can't promise that I won't knit anything else (in fact, as I was going through her dresses, I realized I really don't have a blue or green one, so I might need to do make those) but this is a good start I think :) She has two Sheepy sacks in the top corner for easy nighttime diaper changes. The four covers next to those are size small. And the ones on the bottom row are all newborn size. My sister Michelle knit three of them and gave them to me when she found out she was having a boy- lucky us :)
I have also been working on sewing some cloth diapers for the babe. Here are six newborn size fitted diapers (absorbent but not waterproof- used with a cover, for those who aren't familiar with diaper lingo) I have four size small diapers completed, and I am aiming for twelve of those. I am going to get some prefolds and contours and viola! diaper stash complete!
Here is my trusty little sewing buddy. He likes to sit by my sewing machine on a stool and watch me as I sew, and on occasion "help". He must be growing up because up until recently I couldn't have imagined in my wildest dreams that he would sit next to me for what amounts to 30 or 45 minutes at a time and just chat and behave himself. *sniff* My baby is getting so big!

He really likes the cloth diapers for "Baby Dell" He is holding a whole stack of them here.
While I was in Kansas, Joann Fabrics was having a sale on their snuggle flannel, in all sorts of cute prints . Who can pass up a bargain? So I bought some that I hemmed and made into receiving blankets for when the wee one is born. When she outgrows the need for receiving blankets, they can easily be recycled into material for larger cloth diapers.
Here is a blanket that trimmed with ribbon, similar to one I made for a friend a couple of months ago.
All my little helpers. They were enjoying tea and trail mix while I cut out some fabric.

9 comments:

Michelle said...

Thank you for the post. I love craftiness :) Your blankets, diapers, covers all look great., lucky Adelle. That's cute Isaac likes to watch you sew, Annika really likes to watch me sew too.

So is trail mix and tea an Idaho thing? :D

Elizabeth said...

It must be either spring or all the new babies/pregnant momma's around, because it seems like everyone has been bitten by the craftiness bug! All your projects look great! Adelle will be one spoiled little newborn!

Angie said...

Very cool! Yay, momma you do great work!

Michelle said...

Okay your right that is Liam too funny. I can see how I got them mixed up though.

Erin said...

Michelle, that used to be Isaac's shirt- that might have contributed to the confusion.

Monica said...

Very cool! I can't wait to get a machine! I did a big flannel (one layer) lightweight blanket for Gemma's bed for the warmer weather, and used blanket binding around the outside. Is that what you use? Found a cool how-to video online about mitering corners, but still perfecting the art definitely. Do you miter your corners, or cut and start over?

Erin said...

Monica, on the three flannel blankets I pictured together, I just hemmed them using an overlock stitch. I had to look up mitering, but yes, that is what I did on my ribbon trimmed one. I just looked at an old baby blanket of mine that my aunt made me and tried to duplicate what she did :) Definitely not perfect, but it'll work :)

birthright midwife said...

Look at your fancy sewing machine and countertops. Moving up in the world Erin. :)
All the covers and dipes look great.

Erika Marie said...

wow! I think the warmer weather will motivate me to either sew all day in the cooler basement or bring the machine upstairs and sew while the kids play outside! ;)
So you do you like those diapers better than the prefolds? I think I will try to do some here soon. As you can see on my blog I have some projects to keep me busy too. So do you want those soakers that you gave me for Nicholas back?