We are using Mater Amabilis curriculum as our base this year. My sister Michelle used it last year and spoke highly of it, so I thought I would give it a try. Isaac is pretty much Level 1B and Issy is 1A but we have adjusted some things so that Issy, Isaac and Liam can do them together.
Liam is doing Teach Your Child to Read and Issy and Isaac are doing Explode the Code Online for phonics. Issy and Isaac are also doing Primary Language Lessons for grammar this year.
The kids are all doing the Faith and Life series together. Issy is using the New Catholic Picture Bible for Bible History and Isaac and Liam are using it for New Testament. Issy is using the Life of Our Lord for Children for her New Testament.
We are using This Country of Ours for American History. Interesting book. Think I might need some more sources to have a balanced look at the beginning of our country, but so far, it seems like a good overview.
Continuing with Math-U-See this year. Issy told me she is liking math more than she did last year. And my boys are pretty darn enthusiastic about it. I wish I could guarantee that they would always have kind of enthusiasm for math.

8 comments:
Erin, I've used that 100 Lessons book with all my kids...I love it!!
It's one of my homeschool staples.
Looks like you have a great selection of materials!! Happy Schooling!
Just picked up 100 lessons book and various and sundry supplies...I know I've heard you talk about it before.
I really appreciate this post. I wish that there were homeschooling moms here that I felt connected with- I've only met ones that 'rub me the wrong way' for various reasons I guess. I am still praying about what God wants. And in the meantime doing my best with where we're at.
Can I ask, and perhaps you've posted it before but, how 'formal' are your lessons? This has been a struggle for me coming from a 'classroom' background and coming to the realization that that isn't necesssarily the most condusive way to teach at home. Does that make sense??
Yes, I love 100 Easy Lessons. It really is simple and, at least with the first two, it really launched them into being good little readers :)
I am glad you appreciated it, Angie. As I was posting it I was doubting myself, thinking that it wouldn't be helpful to anyone, but went ahead with it because I wanted a record of what we did this year.
Our lessons are relatively informal. I have tried several different ways of doing it over the last three years, but the way we keep coming back to is sitting in the living room, either on the floor or couch and using the coffee table to write on. Occasionally I will send them off to my desk to take a test or if they need to do something that requires concentration. Of the lessons that require my help or participation, I set the other kids up with things that don't require me and have one and one time with whoever needs it. This is easier some days than others ;) I figure this a good way to teach them patience and how to take turns.
So, do you 'do school' everyday? Have certain lessons for certain days (obviously you mentioned the reading) or everything each day or do you take it as it comes?
If I'm a pest with the questions feel free to let me know. ;-)
Great post Erin, I really enjoyed this. I am going to have to check into that art book. We are using Museum ABC this year with Gemma, and that has been nice, but the one you mentioned might make another nice supplement as well.
THANKS!
Don't mind the questions at all, Angie :) I actually have a schedule for each little one for what we cover everyday, based on the MA curriculum. For example, each one of them do math every day. But Isaac and Liam do New Testament on Monday and Thursday, Issy does her New Testament once a week, on Mondays. We do Catechism together on Wednesday. Issy does Bible History (basically Old Testament) on Tuesday and Thursday. This is kind of where I have tweaked the curriculum because it isn't exactly set up the way I set it up, but it is working really well for us.
Also, if we have an outing, sometimes we will scale back on our lessons or move some things to another day. It is pretty flexible. We can get it all finished in either a morning or an afternoon as long as they are concentrating. Which leaves us with free time to take walks or play or free reading time or clean or other learning activities.
Monica- you might also check out the Usborne Complete Book of Art Ideas, I have it and really like it.
Thanks! I already have the other one on hold at the library. I have always been impressed with Usborne. Speaking of, I recently picked up one of their Children's Bible's and I think I like it. Do you know if their is anything un-Catholic in their Bible's, it seemed a little odd buying a non-Catholic Bible, but I really liked the way the stories were written.
Post a Comment