Monday, February 11, 2013

Sad

Our Kolbe pup died on Saturday, so I am having a hard time thinking about much else right now.

I am not sure what I want to say, Joe already said it thoroughly and beautifully.

I will say this. I was not a dog person when we got him.  We had cats growing up, but whenever I would ask about a dog, my mother would say no. Which I get, because chewing things up! and fur! and dog breath! But Joe loved dogs and it was important to him, so Kolbe joined our family less than a month after we got married.

He worked his way into my heart. He wasn't perfect, but he was always loving. And loyal. And gentle and patient. And he made even this dog- dubious person love him.

I really miss him. I mean,I knew that this day would come eventually and that I would be very sad. But I didn't realize how much he was a part of our family.  I miss the way he would prance around in the evening after bedtime prayers, waiting to be fed. I miss the way he would sit in the middle of the narrow kitchen while I was trying to get dinner on the table, stubbornly making me step around him or ask him to move several times.

I miss the way he would be patiently waiting for me to open the girl's room at bedtime, ready to go sleep in there. The way he would lay his head on your lap to get you to pet him and if you ignored him, he would put a paw on your lap , because clearly, you didn't see him laying his head in your lap, or else you would have been petting him.

And about a gazillion other things.

So good-bye, my sweet pup. Thanks for teaching me how wonderful a dog can be.





3 comments:

Erika Marie said...

again, so sorry about Kolbe. I remember when you first got him and how 'mad' you were that Joe talked you into getting him, but then you couldn't help but love him. ;)
He was a a great dog and will be missed but what a great memory you've given to your children and great lessons they've learned from his life and death about friendship, loyalty, companionship, and the natural dignity of death.

Jackie said...

Kolbe was the kind of dog, that Joel and I would love to have. A loyal, faithful, loving friend. I'm sorry for your loss, but really admire how you guys come together as a family is the good and bad.

http://sarahunfiltered.wordpress.com said...

Aw...this was beautiful...