Thursday, July 25, 2013

A Day at the Marney's: July Edition

 I actually took this picture after I had gotten back from putting the puppy on the front porch to potty.  And the clock is seven minutes fast.  I tried to fall back asleep but it took a long time.  And yes, the clock is sitting on a comforter that my sisters used a month ago and I have not yet put back in the linen closest even though it is about 12? feet from this. Yes, sometimes I am ridiculous.
 Joe took care of George and I fell back asleep until about 7:15.  We then had our coffee and 5 minutes of quiet time in the morning.  Well, kind of quiet- George was watching Barney and Critter was yelping to be fed.  But considering I used to just roll out of bed when he left, our five minutes of coffee time is a definite improvement.
 I got ready for the day. I put on mismatched socks on purpose. When I wear a hole in one I usually get rid of it but I don't like to waste the other one so I pair it with one that is similar colors.  Sometimes.  Sometimes I just throw it on with something that doesn't match at all.  I walk on the wild side.
 Loaded up the five and went out on an outing.
 Why is it 65* in July at mid-morning? Weirdness.
 We went blueberry picking with some friends.  Even though I had bought a lot of blueberries at the store the day before.  BUT THEY WERE A GOOD DEAL!  And the experience of blueberry picking and connecting with the Earth and where our food comes from and all those life lessons... So now I need to find a bunch of recipes using blueberries.
 Pretty, aren't they?
 I made lunch and got ready to the dishes from the night before.  But then I realized, "Hey! I have five kids!" and I let Isaac do them instead.
 I laid down for a little bit (see first picture) and then I read a little bit on the back deck.  I had started this book in the Spring, really liked it and then, for whatever reason, put it down.  I picked it back up and I am glad I did.
 The biggers played outside for a while and the littles slept.
Then it was time for Math. Oh, the dreaded Summer Math.  It has caused much angst.

 The rest of us made muffins.  Not blueberry muffins, even though that would have been a good idea.  I had super ripe bananas so I made banana chocolate chip. Yummo. Maybe we will make blueberry today.
 I even swept the floor because it was dis.gus.ting.  Blech. Mopped, too.  Later, the puppy got his water on his paws and got little paw prints on the floor and I was reminded why I don't bother to mop as often as I should.
 I made dinner, which included making homemade cream of mushroom soup because it is far superior to the canned stuff.  But dude, cornstarch is annoyingly messy.  Or I am inept in the kitchen, one of the two.
 Her bike that we got her for her birthday a month ago had a flat tire, so Daddy fixed it for her.
 While he was doing that, I took the rest of them outside, where they raced.
 This race was slow motion running. I liked that one a lot.
 The dogs romped.
 And her bike was finally fixed.  She rode up up and down the driveway once before it got all mosquitoey and we went inside.  The kids showered.
 Aw, Isaac is all fresh.
 Hair brushing.
 Then they all pretended to be dogs chasing their tails.  

Ahhhhh, bedtime.
 Joe and I continued our Twilight-athon. Which he claims he only agreed to because he can't say no to any "-athon" but we all know better.
 My knitting stuff was a mess from not putting thing back properly in the middle of a project, so I organized it all. 
All organized.  Then I knit the stupid "Perseverance Sweater" that I have been knitting on and off for almost a year.  That sucker is gonna get done, yes, it will.

And then we went bed.  And that was another "Day in the Life of the Marney Family".

6 comments:

ArmyWife said...

i very much enjoyed this! some thoughts:
- yes, cornstarch is rediculously messy. for some odd reason, i decided to buy mass quantities of sams a few months back even though i rarely use it (because it's messy). so after actually using it once, apparently i did not put the lid on properly. enter curious toddler. rediculous mess ensued. *sigh*
- i enjoy joe's lounging style in the background of the tail-chasing mayhem.
- LOVE the pink and brown sweater! i am jealous that you can do that stuff. i have moderate crochet skillz, but even with my schedule which is probably not nearly as hectic as yours, i cannot manage to do much of it. so go you!
- you have beautiful children.

Erika Marie said...

I finally read this. I also very much enjoyed this!
I love your family! The kids are so silly, I loved the slow-motion running and the do-tail-chasing games. :)
Whenever I think of getting a dog, I'm going to remember the alarm clock picture. ;)
Did you find any good blueberry recipes?

http://sarahunfiltered.wordpress.com said...

Aw, I loved this! It gave a good glimpse into your life.

AND I AGREE ABOUT CORNSTARCH

Erin said...

I am glad I am not the only one that is cornstarch impaired. I don't like to get my hands dirty (yes, I know that is ridiculous, but it is what it is) so I usually avoid recipes with cornstarch. Or recipes that you have to squish raw meat, blech.

Thanks for the compliment on the sweater, Michelle! I am so glad it's finished. I love the blankets you crochet :)

I did find a blueberry cobbler recipe, but I haven't done it yet. Maybe I will make it for Patrick tonight: http://www.food.com/recipe/fresh-blueberry-cobbler-71109

mary said...

oh yay! i always like finding these posts. it's a good thing you guys have a gaggle of kids-i love the games they come up with.

i have never noticed about cornstarch. come to think of it though, i don't know that i even own any. hmmmmm.

Jackie said...

This was fun, fun, fun to read. Loved seeing all the great ways the Marney's interact during the day. And I am soooo jealous of blueberry picking, it is one fruit I cannot grow out here.