Monday, July 29, 2013

Meatball Subs

Oooo, a recipe. And it isn't even really mine, is is actually Mary's. I note where I changed things but you are welcome to follow it as is as well. Enjoy!

Meatball Subs:

Ingredients
1 lb beef
3/4 c bread crumbs (I used cracker crumbs because I think it is a lot easier to smash up Ritz.  Your mileage may vary)
2 tbsp dried Italian Seasoning
2 cloves minced garlic
2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
1 egg, beaten

1 French baguette (I used sub bread. I really like the crusty French bread the time I did use it, but I found the soft sub bread to be easier for the kids)
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 garlic powder
1 pinch salt or to taste
1 jar spaghetti sauce
4 slices provolone cheese (I used shredded mozzarella because I didn't have provolone)

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

In a bowl, mix your beef, cracker crumbs, Italian seasoning, garlic, Parmesan and egg. Shape into 12 meatballs and place in baking dish.  The original recipe says to bake for 15 to 20, but I found it takes more like 30.  But I also usually double it so... you know. Bake it until it is done, ok?

If you are using the baguette, cut it in half and remove some of the break from the inside to make a well for the meatballs.  Whatever bread you are using, brush with olive oil and season with garlic powder and salt.  Slip the bread into the oven during the last 5 minutes of the meatball's time or until lightly toasted.

While the bread toasts, warm the spaghetti sauce in a saucepan over medium heat. When the meatballs are done, use a slotted spoon to transfer them to the cause.  Spoon onto the break and top with slices of provolone cheese (or shredded mozzarella). Return to the oven for 2 to 3 minutes to melt the cheese.  Cool slightly, cut into servings and enjoy!

4 comments:

Monica said...

yummo! I would use mozz cheese anyways because I like it better with Italian. Thanks for posting.

http://sarahunfiltered.wordpress.com said...

MMMMMMMM....I loooove meatball subs

Elizabeth said...

We're going to have these for dinner. Not sure why I never thought of it before - thanks to both you and Mary for the inspiration :) I'm going to use oats instead of bread crumbs/crackers since that's what I've always used in my BBQ meatball recipe. Not sure what other adjustments I'll make, only time will tell.

Erika Marie said...

Mmm, sounds good to me! And relatively easy.