Monday, September 16, 2013

Journal: Settling in to September

Out my window: 57 and clear. It's evening and the waxing moon is out. Finally feels like September. It's supposed to be warm and humid and rainy on Wednesday and Thursday and then back to fall. That's fine- we need the rain.

Clothing myself in: Jeans, pink and grey striped shirt, brown cardigan, tennis shoes. Dreaming about new shoes, as all mine seem to be falling apart. I have no "causal" shoes right row- nothing between tennis shoes or flip flops and heels. Maybe for my birthday?

Around the house: This weekend, we worked on clearing some stuff out of the basement for a garage sale next weekend. Went through the toys, because they were all out in the main basement room from when we cleared out the playroom (which is now Issy's room).  I whittled it down to a manageable amount of toys, which will go in respective rooms.  That felt good.

We put up the fall decorations, which I love, love, love.  Fall is my favorite season and I love decorating for it, probably more than for Christmas even. Love the colors, love the feel, love the warmth. Yay, fall.

The toddler: He very nearly made it all Mass without needing to be taken out on Sunday. I think I had to take him out after the Lamb of God? This is the longest he has been in Mass the last six? eight? months. Perhaps longer. Most of the time, he wouldn't even make it to the readings.  A combination of books, Barney and some whispering distraction in his ear almost got us there. Someday!

Him and Delle were better last week than the first week of school, thank goodness. Some fun walks, good naps, and lots of redirection helped. Patience, patience, patience and gentleness are what he needs.
 
The kiddos: School is still great for Liam, Adelle is looking forward to preschool coop tomorrow and Issy and Isaac are enjoying their new found basement freedom.

Good Liam story: The school families take turns cleaning the school each week and it was our turn last week. On Friday after school, I was in Liam's classroom wiping off the tables and taking out the trash. His teacher smiled and said, "Your son is very, um, interesting" as she chuckled. I laughed and told her that I knew but I asked her in what way she meant. They had a journaling assignment about a fish. She told me she had assigned it in the morning and it took him all day of thinking. She was trying to prompt him, so she asked him what color the fish was. He decided it was blue.  He thought for a while. She asked him what the fish was doing.

She said that he thought for a good twenty minutes before he started writing. After a moment, he looked up at her and said, "How do you spell fertilizing?"

His story was, "There was a fish. He was blue. He was fertilizing eggs."  She laughed and said she was amused and impressed by his correct use of the term "fertilizing eggs."  Apparently, first graders don't usually discuss that, lol. That's ma boy.

In the kitchen: Chili? Bean, cheese, and rice squares? Fish tacos? I hate that few days before grocery shopping :P

Crafting: One sleeve is successfully done on little baby sweater. Looks good, need to do the other one, which should be easy because I diligently wrote down what I was doing.  I finished a hat I started last winter when a friend announced her pregnancy and I love it. Need to figure out what I did so I can write down a pattern for it.

Bringing me joy: Walking home from school on a beautiful day with my little ones.  Life is hard sometimes, but it is sweet, idyllic times like that that make it so worth it.  Last Friday, it was beautiful and wonderfully quiet in the house during naptime. For two hours.  Two. whole. hours. I knit in our reading nook and enjoyed the sunshine and breeze in the windows. The way that George's voice raises pitch in excitement. It is kind of hard to explain. He says, "Boo and snunnel?? At naptime?" and his voice raises at the end of each question and he raises his eyebrows in this adorable way. Cooler weather, the start of fall colors, rainy Sunday, fall decorations.

Thinking about: Still God's will for our family. For me. Sometimes I feel restless in motherhood. I feel like I have more to gave outside of these walls. I don't know what it is.




2 comments:

Erika Marie said...

Aw, I miss your fall decorations! If we ever visit you (which I hope we do) I hope it can be in the Fall so we can enjoy your Autumn home. :)
Yay on toddlers making it through Mass. (I hope Barney doesn't creep him out ;))

Ha! Love the Liam fish story. And how good of the teacher to give him enough time to think about that!

We usually end up eating crackers and meat roll-ups and cheese on those days (before grocery shopping)

I like your joys -they bring me smiles.
And I guess we're in the same boat in the prayers section. ;)
A JPII quote comes to mind: "Families, be who you are!" (or something like that)

ArmyWife said...

aaahh, i love fall too. it occured to me the other day that i should probably put out my fall decorations but honestly, i am barely keeping my head above water and even cleaning the house is huge, decorations are definitely falling by the wayside this year.
i feel your pain in mass. last week we made it to offetory before leaving, the week before we barely lasted 5 minutes. my church does not have a cry room and attending with a toddler is just NOT a 1 person job. i hope and pray that when charles comes home, he will come with me to help. it's just exhausting.
keep on keepin on, friend!