Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Journal: I am 32

Out my window: Dark, clear, 61. Fall crisp in the air.

Clothing myself in: Jeans, tennis shoes, Buddy Walk shirt. Got a new outfit this weekend with my birthday money from Mom and Dad Marney. Pretty exciting:

Around the house: Joe and the kids did some birthday house cleaning while I was shopping this weekend. He cut trees after dinner tonight with a chainsaw.

The toddler: Never a dull moment. We do pretty well playing outside in the morning and blessedly, he has been napping well.  It gets dicey with him after school when we are trying to do homework, chat with the schoolers and make dinner. What can you do about it?

The kiddos: Isaac is very excited about his upcoming birthday. In an understated, Isaac sort of way. He decided on Bierock casserole and chocolate cake with cream cheese frosting. Lord of Rings themed, so that should be interesting. Big three have school off on Friday for the feast of St. Francis. I think it will be a bike ride, tea having, pumpkin bread baking kind of day.

In the kitchen: Joe and I had a fun Sunday in the kitchen- bierocks and apple pie. It was super tasty, but man. So many dishes. I finally got the last of them done and put away this afternoon.

Crafting: Closing in on that sweater. Push through, Erin.

Bringing me joy: Gorgeous, kinda pleasantly blustery fall days, campfires, new books, awesome music to listen to, ponder and listen to some more. When George lays his head on my shoulder or puts his big ol' toddler arms around my neck, coffee with real cream, new boots, pretty new fall ribbon I need to find something to do with.

Thinking about: God's will for our family. What kind of people I want my children to be when they grow up- how to do that.

I have pictures but I just want to post this, so I will share later in another post :)

4 comments:

ArmyWife said...

i am often perplexed by your frequent musings on god's will for your family. likely this is simply because i have no idea what your possible paths look like and i am not the type to wonder about the direction of my family beyond what the military may have in store for us. but i can't help but to point out that maybe this unsettled, grinding/grating, difficult season in your life - IS - your path. but again, i don't know all the variables. i guess i just choose to embrace the suck or awesome (depending on the day or hour) and not worry about the path so much as to enjoy the walk. ok, enough metaphors. have a good day!

Erin said...

I actually started an extremely long-winded and rambling post about it this morning. I am trying to think of a concise version. I thought my desire was to set down roots- and this was as an ideal situation as I could have imagined: perfect-for-us house, perfect-for-us school, a welcoming community. But there is this feeling that there is more than this for us. Out there. And that I am trying to force this life.

I have no doubt this place is where we are supposed to be now. I just assumed when we moved here that it was the endline. I feel a bit like everything I thought I wanted ends up not being what I actually want. Or perhaps, what God wants from me.

Ooooor, I might be overthinking things :)

ArmyWife said...

none of us every know what the endline looks like and you guys have always been pretty open to a new location/adventure. probably it all just feels forced right now because it is - just not in the way you're thinking. you're forcing yourself sane/functional because life right now is crazy and hard with little kids. but in those moments with your family when you are most happy is the only place you will ever really feel at peace - and that's not something that will ever be effected by geography or property ownership. we can't make our lives perfect, we can only remind ourselves that they already are. :) hang in there.

Erika Marie said...

Army wife, your comments are spot on and so wise. Michelle g is also good at reminding me that we are supposed to struggle and feel tension, even - and sometimes especially- when we are are exactly where God wants us.