Thursday, June 4, 2009

Craftiness, Part 2

In this post from May I had some pictures of Adelle's wool diaper covers and her newborn fitted diapers. I have been working diligently to make her some small fitted diapers (because frankly, my kiddos seem to outgrew newborn things veeery quickly). Here is what is completed so far:These are the ones that have been cut (well, one of these is fully cut and the other three still need an inner layer and a soaker) and are awaiting assembly. My goal is to have 12 of the size small. Getting there!
Her prefolds came on Tuesday and I took some time yesterday to embellish some of them. I just cut out some flannel and sewed it on the middle panel. Simple, but I really like the way they turned out. So now she has seven embellished prefolds and eleven plain ones:

Back in February right after we found out that the baby was a girl, I bought some onesies to turn into t-shirts to wear with her wool diaper covers. This project has been met with mixed success. Being a relatively novice sewer and not really taking the time to research it, I didn't realize that working with knits is different than working with other fabrics. So I charged ahead and pretty much mutilated the first onesie I tried to hem (the purple one on the left). So I not-so-skillfully covered my mistake with purple rick-rack :D I think that might be the "we are staying home today shirt". Although, perhaps not surprisingly, Issy really really liked it. My girl likes sparkly things ;)

I am pleased with how to the other two turned out though. Have to learn somehow, right?

7 comments:

Michelle said...

All the fitted dipes are so cute and the embellished prefolds. Adelle's tiny tushie will be so cutely covered, lucky girl. I like the shirts too, I also messed up on the first onesie I hemmed so it is a night shirt. I'm excited for Adelle's arrival, have fun nesting.

Angie said...

Looks great to me Erin! Impressive work!

Monica said...

Looks great!! Fun idea with the prefolds. I had thought of that for burpcloths but not for actual dipes, that makes them much more interesting though!!! Does your machine have stretch stitches on it? The guy at the Singer store (where I got my machine) said that's a good way to sew on knits. I haven't experimented with that yet, but plan to at some point.

Monica said...

Are those premie or infant sized prefolds?

Erin said...

Thanks guys :)

You know, i might have to look into different stitches on my machine, it is a pretty nice- I know I am not utilizing even a 1/4 of what I can do on it.

They are infant sized prefolds- my babies are pretty good sized and tend to grow pretty quickly!

Erika Marie said...

ok,so if you run out of things to do...I'll buy the material and send it up there and you can make some dipes for our little one's tushie! :)
Seriously, I WILL start that project this month...big sale coming up. I love the idea of embellishing the prefolds-good thinking!
Oh and yes, knits are not so fun! I followed Michelle'advice and am using a different type of needle and that has helped.

Erika Marie said...

did you make any newborn? If not, did the size small fit her right away?