Monday, April 4, 2011

The baby must like coffee

... since I can feel him kicking around in there as I drink a cup :)
Trying to decide what I want to do for school next year, curriculum-wise. We are doing more of a Charlotte Mason approach this year- taking some great ideas from Elizabeth Foss' Serendipity website, particularly the Alphabet Path. This was working great until I got pregnant and tired and it has been much harder since then. I have guilt for this. I start to compare myself to "other" homeschooling moms- big families which means being pregnant a lot, they craft, bake, keep seemingly perfect homes, plan creative, enriching lessons. How do they do it? Better time management? How are they not exhausted?
I don't even get the really bad morning sickness and I still feel like curling up in bed for the first trimester. I mean, I don't do it, but I really want to. Maybe I am just whinier than other people? Slightly overdramatic? Not very good at offering up and sacrificing? At any rate, we kept up on the basics, learning-wise, in January and February but there were no fun trips to Exploration Place or winter nature walks. Oh well. There is a season for everything, right?
The first trimester was good for one thing- it forced me to be realistic about my limitations next year. I don't suppose it'll be too much easier with a newborn (well, maybe, but that is hard to predict). So I think I am going to go a more structured approach next year. Thinking about Mother of Divine Grace since we have used that before. And then I will add in things as I feel able.
It is hard to let go of some of my idealized, better-in-my-head-than-in-practice plans for right now.

5 comments:

Angie said...

Erin, my babies both liked coffee. ;) Still do!
I enjoy hearing about your homeschooling journey. I am really interested in homeschooling. My husband isn't sold on the idea. It is neat to hear your realistic thinking on working with 'students' while pregnant and with an infant. I have been tentatively planning on homeschooling Kate for preschool but others have mentioned, "You'll probably want to send her- especially if you're hoping to have another one by then."

Debi said...

Erin, I struggle every single year with feelings that in many ways I am failing the kids and I always seem to feel inferior to other families. I was praying one day and I felt like the Lord said to my heart,..."It's not about the academics, it's about character formation...this is essential for Heaven." I know that doesn't mean I should throw everything academic out the window, but to know where the value needs to be placed. And He constantly whispers to STOP comparing myself to others. Of course, our kids need to be educated to be able to support themselves one day, but I think your Charlotte Mason approach is very effective and teaches children to be independent and self-motivated. Having a big family kind of promotes self-independence by way of necessity doesn't it?? Anyway, it sounds like you are doing great!! I am always impressed with your knowledge and ideas. Blessings!!

Patty Arnold said...

love the pic of my godson. he appears to be thinking with his lips. :) give him a hug from me.

Erika Marie said...

I think you are doing quite excellent actually. If it makes you feel better, even I, with a child in school, feel the guilt about not doing enough. So in the end, kind of like Debi said, we have to do our best, love them, and let God take care of the rest. Your kids are smart, they'll let you know when they want/need more.
You might like this http://daniellebean.com/2011/03/31/learning-and-love-notes/

Unknown said...

Maybe they have older kids (read: slaves) to do their housework?