As I sit here on this early November morning, awaiting a cold front to take my beautiful 70 degree days away, I am wondering where the last couple of months went. Really? Where did they go?
George turned 8 weeks old yesterday. It seems like not that long (and yet forever) ago that I was hugely pregnant, hot, and waiting for labor to start. And then it did and he came and now it seems like he has always been a part of our family. He is pretty easygoing as long as the mommy/food source isn't too far away. I can't really say that he sleeps any better at night. But perhaps I have adjusted my expectations.
We have just entered our 5th week of school and are still in that beginning of school honeymoon phase. I love it. Adelle has been taking awesome naps since George was born, he usually has a good stretch that he sleeps in the afternoon and we have been free to dig into literature, history, math and all the good stuff. The weather has been lovely and we have been enjoying our nature study. I love this neighborhood- it is so full of beauty and trees and life. Now if only it were nestled next to some mountains...
And yet, I feel winter looming. Because I know that is what comes after fall. The beautiful leaves will fall. The trees will be bare and the air will turn blustery cold. I will want to snuggle in and not leave the house. Which will be fine in December when we have advent and the anticipation of Christmas and a tree of lights and evergreen branches.
Oh January. And February. I steel myself against you every year. Yet every year, you get me. The branches will remain bear, Christmas will be over, it will still be grey and cold. The kids will get surly with our school routine and we will all long for playing outside and sun and fresh, warm days. Sigh.
I am trying not to borrow trouble, really I am not. Maybe this will be the year that winter doesn't get me.
1 comment:
I feel you, Erin. As I savor autumn, the looming of winter always casts a bit of a shadow over the enjoyment. February is the. worst. Absolutely. Thank heavens it's only 28 (or 29) days. I don't think I could bear even 30 or 31. Once March comes, even though it is still bleak and ucky, there is a certain optimism that spring is imminent in the air. And here I am, parsing about spring, and it isn't even winter yet. Bleh.
Post a Comment