Out my window: 37 and sunny. It got chilly at the end of last week- highs in the 50s. The leaves are starting to fall. Well, some of them. We have a lot of oak trees in our yard and they don't really lose most of their leaves until the Spring. I should take my littles in the woods this afternoon to watch for squirrels gathering acorns. If only I could get them to be quiet enough...
Clothing myself in: Black sweatpants with blue strip up the side, a fleecey hoodie that I really like, but the sleeves are kind of too short. I let Issy use it this weekend and she got soup on it. And I spilled coffee on it this morning. I look fabulous, let me tell you.
Around the house: Joe started working on the basement hallway this weekend. I am so excited about having it done (eventually. it is a long term project). It will really expand our living space. While Joe worked on that, I worked on finishing the summer/winter clothes exchange. Everyone's are switched out and all but George's are organized and put away.
We decided to do a border instead of a chair rail in George's room. It is coming soon (hopefully tomorrow?) so I hope to have it up, do whatever touch up painting I need to and have pictures by the end of the week. We will see.
The baby: Keeps taking it up a notch. He is cutting molars and sleeping so badly. The first half of the night isn't terrible but oh. my. word. the second half of the night is awful. If there is a second half of the night- he was up at 3:54 this morning. He is also problem solving like crazy- figured out how to unlock and open our back door and the same day as my toddlerhood post he did this:
The kiddos: Finally got the rest of Liam's school books. I will have to share what we are working on this year soon. The other kids get midterms today, so that should be interesting. Isaac's teacher told me the other day how great he was doing and that I must have taught him well when we homeschooled. Honestly, it is more him than me, but it is nice to hear that he is progressing well. And oh my little Isabelle- I don't know if it is being 9, starting school, or what but Issy has gotten a lot older in the last six months. A bit sassier, a bit more prone to drama and meltdowns but even more affectionate and more giggly. As much as I wish that time would slow down, it isn't so I will just try to guide her gracefully through this in between little girl and teenager time.
Crafting: Veeery nearly have my first sleeve done- working on the cuff. Maybe 30? more minutes of knitting to complete it. I have been directing my creative energy into painting the last couple of nights. Yes, me, painting. A few months ago, a friend asked me if I would like to do a saint peg doll exchange. So 12 of us picked two saints, are painting 12 of each and then sending them to organizer, who will divvy them up. So I get 24 different little saint peg dolls. I think I am going to give them to Adelle for Christmas. I picked Blessed (almost Saint, on October 21st!) Kateri and St. Patrick. I am not the best painter (um, to say the least) but I think it is turning out just fine. St. Kateri:
In the kitchen: I love the few days after grocery day- so much potential. I made pumpkin soup this weekend, which really nobody likes except me. Oh well, I only make it once a year. Black bean burritos, more fish tacos, grilled pork chops for Isaac's birthday on Friday, per his request.
Bringing me joy: Bike rides with my five littles, days off of school, Issy shouting gleefully, "THIS IS AWESOME!" as she biked through leaves raining off the tree, mug of orange spice tea while I read to my four big kids, a husband who is truly my parenting partner- in the hard times (and early mornings) and in sharing the joy, beautiful family pictures.
Thinking about: Choosing to be joyful, grateful and productive even when in my head I am tired, whiny and want to curl up in a ball in bed. Self-discipline.
Pictures to share: Some of my favorites from our family photo shoot with my friend Heather from HVH Photography:





6 comments:
I really enjoy these. I'm tempted to start myself...anyhow, thanks for the post. I laughed.
i love the peg person. i've been wanting to paint a set for years. (that makes me sad to think it's been on my crafty to-do list that long.) did you have an example to follow or did you come up with your own design for her? very cute. you'll have to post a pic of your set when they all arrive.
Enjoyable read. I am amazed at your productivity!! And I REALLY REALLY like the last photo of your kiddos. Beautiful! (Ok, all the photos are beautiful, but I liked that one best :)
Amy and I decided today that you are superhuman. I hope George sleeps better for you soon.
I never thought of painting the wooden peg dolls. I bought a bunch back with I was doing Alphabet path but I only made 2 with the felt not paint. Paint would be way easier. I think you did an excellent job!
I love the photos, even the one with Georgie on the table.
I miss you and your family! Thanks for posting these.
Jump on the bandwagon, Patty! It would be nice to have a little glimpse into your life :)
Mary W, the peg doll design was modeled off someone else's I found on the netz. Only that person did a much better job and had a lot more detail. I have actually been enjoying painting them more than I thought I would. Except for hands. Darn hands.
Thanks, Mary! I really like that picture of my kids, too. Everyone is looking pleasantly in the same general vicinity- can't beat that!
Heh, superhuman. It is here that I disclose that I really could. not. do. it. without Joe. I mean it. At least not sanely. For example- George had nursed at 1 and then was up again at 3 and Joe went in his room and rocked him and let him sleep on him until 5, then I took George, nursed him and then got up with him. Tag team parenting, for the win!
I hate molars; J is getting all his molars and two incisors in at the same time. Things aren't fun. And don't the climbers keep you on your toes? I swear that is why I lost all my baby weight without trying after V and J. I couldn't stay sitting down.
Post a Comment