Monday, November 19, 2012

Journal: Giving thanks

Out my window: 43 and cloudy. Might rain today.

Clothing myself in: Black sweatpants, black shirt, grey sweatshirt.

Around the house: Busy weekend! As mentioned in my last journal post, we had decided that Joe would refinish our table again.  He hadn't finished the benches from the last time we refinished it, so we have been using folding chairs the last couple of years.  He finished the table and the benches in just a couple of weeks! We had been toying with the idea of painting our dining room recently, but had decided not to try to do it before Thanksgiving.  Then on Friday, Adelle created a little masterpiece on the wall in there and we decided to just go ahead and paint it.
 Before: taken last May.  I was never overly fond of this shade of yellow.  I like yellow, just not this shade. The stain on the table was also red/ more orange than Joe had intended. And the folding chairs.
After: Natural color stain/sealant on the table and benchtops. White supports.  The walls are now a slate blue, actually really similar one of the colors in the master bedroom.

Also bringing me nerdy domestic joy: a new dryer. That actually dries things in a timely manner, thank goodness.  Also, I found a way to destinkify my towels, which has been a battle for, I kid you not, years.  Years, people.  And Pinterest helped me find a solution that is both cheap and easy peasy.

The baby: Been sleeping better, particularly with not getting up ridiculously early. Thank goodness. I feel like I can handle his shenanigans when I am not dead tired.  Words this week: "um yeah", alternating with "oh, no".  Whacking himself on the head and laughing while saying "ow". If you ask him where his honk is, he grabs his nose and says nose. Also, growling- need to get a video.

The kiddos: They are on break this week.  We are going to be cleaning some more to get ready for our guests and I think we will try to squeeze in a unit on the first Thanksgiving.

Going with Issy and Mom shopping on Friday.  Issy cannot. stop. talking. about it.  It is adorable. She got to go with me, my sisters and nieces last year and loved it.  She talks about it once every waking hour, literally, and usually more often than that.  I hope it lives up to her expectations.

Crafting: Still need to work on my Patricks. Got three more drawn on.


In the kitchen: Making my list for our feast: turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, joe's brown sugar, walnutty sweet potatoes, green bean casserole, pumpkin pie with homemade whipped cream. Yum.

Bringing me joy: Clothes fresh from the dryer, a beautiful table to sit at, a bright dining room, anticipation of seeing Joe's parents and brother, George's sweet little baby curls, the way he put his arms around my neck in  Church yesterday, Adelle's facial expressions, a long-awaited sweet little baby girl born to my friend yesterday afternoon.

Thinking about: Gratitude.

Pictures to share:
The aftermath of the aforementioned whacking himself on the head and saying "ow". Only, this time, it was during dinner. Spaghetti.  He was not pleased with the amount of scrubbing it took to get all the sauce out of his hair.

3 comments:

Angie said...

What's your towel tip?

Erin said...

So simple! Hot water/cup of vinegar and wash all the way through. Then hot water/half cup of baking soda and wash all the way through.

erikahiggins said...

I'll have to try that towel trick, we've had the same problem for years as well. Although I recently tried Bac-out (what I use for diapers) on the towels and that has helped.
Love the picture of George, yowza!
You sound so comfortable in your home and role as wife/mother, so happy for you!
Have a great Thanksgiving with your family!