Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Just because I love him

I occasionally talk about Joe- what he is doing around the house, my gratitude for him.  But today I want to take it a little bit deeper.

Since it is mostly family and friends that read my blog, you know our story- we met when we were 15, didn't talk for a while and then reconnected through mutual friends when we were 17.  Our friendship deepened but we were still just friends. Until God put it on his heart that we should be more, and he told me so. I was dubious- we were both about to go off to separate colleges and it just wasn't in my plan. I was going to go to Benedictine, do the college stuff, meet a guy my Senior year and then get married after I graduated.

But life rarely goes how we plan and I can pinpoint the exact moment when I knew that he was the one. I simply knew.  And I tried to skate around God's plan for a couple more weeks. Because even when you know, it also takes a decision.  I could have known and still chosen to do it "my way".  Ultimately, even though it seemed fast or even foolish and young from the outside, I said yes.

Best. Decision. Ever.

He is better for me than anyone I could have imagined in my "go off to college, meet a guy, fall in love, graduate and get married" scenario.  Growing up with him has made me a better person. By his example, I have learned to be less stubborn, let things go more easily and to say sorry.

He acts with integrity, he is kind, he is selfless.  So, so selfless.  He takes care of kiddos during pukey nights, rocks the baby for hours, and then gets up and goes to work for us. He works so hard- at his work, at making our home and our land beautiful.

He has held my hand during scary moments of pregnancy, during the tests.  He has talked me through cesareans, through childbirth when I just wanted to give up, to the other side, greeting our babies with joy.  He is the other person on Earth that loves these babies as much as I do.  He would do anything for them.

He is my friend. He gets me. He loves me, flaws and all.  We share a love of mountains, of forests, a love of wandering in the woods, not knowing what bit of beauty you might find next. We share faith. We may not have all the answers, but we have hope.

And so, on this random November day, I just wanted to say how much I Love him. How grateful I am that I said yes to God's plan for us, that late Spring day 12 1/2 years ago. My heart is bursting with love and gratitude for this person I get to spend my life with.  Sometimes you just have to share.


7 comments:

Patty Arnold said...

this makes me happy on an otherwise down kinda day. love you.

http://sarahunfiltered.wordpress.com said...

Oh, Erin, this is beautiful. Seriously.

And you know that I still take (partial) credit for your marriage.

http://sarahunfiltered.wordpress.com said...

I meant to put a "winkie" after that last statement, so you knew I was kidding (mostly). HEre it is:
;)

Monica said...

This post made me tear up with happiness. So wonderful Erin.

I sometimes look at my life and wonder why God decided to bless me so much with the husband I have. Definitely shows how He works, I could never have planned it to be this good.

God is good. All the time.

Mary Elizabeth said...

Very sweet. Thank you for sharing.

Jackie said...

I read this earlier, started to comment, then yelled at my kids. So, I needed a few hours to regain my sincerity.
You and Joe are two very special people. You will always be the MI proto-type couple (at least for me). We know you're not perfect, but you make it all look so darn good.
God bless you and your family!

Erika Marie said...

Somehow I missed this gem last week. I love it. How beautiful and awe-inspiring your marriage is. I'm so glad we've been able to be a part of it from the beginning. Joe is a wonderful guy and perfect for you.

(Jackie--I can't imagaine you yelling at your kids)