Thursday, June 26, 2008

A random post

I wanted to blog, but didn't know exactly what to blog about. So, pull up your chairs (or couch or sitting/resting place of your choice) and i'll ramble about random things.

So Liam has finally started to talk. Thank goodness! He just turned 22 months and in the last week has decided to really start talking and using words to indicate things. Some fun "first" words: Grand Teton, Yellowstone, Isaac, Clementine (he likes to stand at the door with me and we take turns hollering for her.), why, i want up, nigh-night, and when he wants to nurse, he climbs on my lap, looks up at me with his hazely-blue eyes and says, "Boo, pwease". Sweet guy.

As i said, Liam just turned 22 months. Which is how old Isaac was when he was born. And i am amazed. Isaac seemed so old at 22 months and Li just seems like such a babe still. Oh, except for the adventurous climbing. In that respect, he is on par with about a 4 or 5 year old. He likes to climb on the lip of the drawers in the kitchen to get up on the cabinet. He has some amazing problem solving skills, seriously. This makes me very thankful that i don't have a newborn baby right now. Maybe in a couple of years, when i can figure out how to reign Liam in. If that is even possible. Or i could ship him off to live in Kansas with his Godparents (how does that sound, Mary?)

My other two are spending hours and hours a day outside, which makes both them and me very very happy. Joe and i have also been reading a good book called How to Talk So Kids Will Listen & Listen So Kids Will Talk that had been recommended to me and i checked out at the Library. We have been putting some of the ideas into practice with the kids, and i have noticed an appreciable difference. There have been less power struggles, more cooperation, more peace and the kids seem happier. I have especially noticed a difference with Issy. She has been acting out negatively way less and has been really lovey with me. I am thankful to finally find something that seems like a good fit for both kids and parents.

Hmmm, what else? I am really looking forward to homeschooling. Prior to our decision, i had been feeling slightly ambivalent about the whole thing. I felt it was best, given our choices and yet, i also felt like life might be easier if i sent her to school. But once the decision was made, i felt really relieved and at peace about the situation. A kind of nerdy thought in my excitement about homeschooling is that i am really stoked about teaching the kids some hands-on science here. There is so much nature and diversity and interesting features of the Earth here. I look forward to throwing them in the car for a field trip to Yellowstone to study geysers in a couple of years or even going down to the Canyon by our house. I never really liked Science in school and i am hoping that this will really enrich their studies and make them fall in love with the Earth that God so beautifully created.

I should go now. Joe just bought me a little treat of Haagen-Dazs. Night all!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wanna share some of the practices you've implemented in more specific terms????? I'm interested to learn all I can before E and I start spawning. :-)