Tuesday, January 13, 2009

18 week belly
If you hang out with me here, you will have to endure me blathering on about pregnancy every so often. This is one of those posts, so if you aren't interested, skip it ;)

This pregnancy has been so weird. So not like my pregnancies with my boys. The nausea lasted longer (bleh) and I ended up losing 10 lbs my first trimester, which is ridiculous. I love having an appetite now, although I can't eat much at a time and some things still don't sound very good. I am eagerly awaiting the "look like a 15-year-old" acne's departure, though it does seem to be getting better. With the boys, I started to "pop" (a euphemism for: my stomach muscles gave up and I started looking pregnant even though it was mostly organs being displaced) much earlier than with this little one. In many, many ways this prenancy is highly similar to my pregnancy with Issy and notsomuch my pregnancy with the boys. Having a girl? Joe feels confident enough to call the baby "she". We'll see!

Everything is all set on the "prenatal care" front. I got an appointment with midwife group in Rexburg and will be seeing them on Friday. I also have an appointment with the parenatologist set for Feb 11th. This is later than I would like (ideally, they would do the first doppler/amnio at about 20 weeks- I will be 22) but since I made the appointment and not my midwives, they just had to take my word for it and they gave me the "first available". I am hoping my midwives can pull some strings and get them to fit me in earlier, so that will be a topic of discussion on Friday, but I don't know.

I would be lying if I said that I wasn't apprehensive about all this. New midwives, new doctors, bloodwork, amnio, lots of driving, working out babysitters for the kiddos, lots of decisions to make if the baby is positive. I am trying not to be overwhelmed by the whole situation. Seriously, one breath at a time at this point. Make the best decisions we possibly can for baby Spud.

12 comments:

Cassie said...

The midwives here are pretty good. We considered them with S. I've had a couple sister in laws use them now.

You know what this means right? It means you have to pack your knitting and come to my house when you're done!

Cassie said...

And you could always drop the kiddos off here while you go. I wouldn't mind at all!

Erin said...

Oooo, might take you up on the childcare offer if need be. If the baby doesn't have the antigen (which we should find out a couple of weeks after the amnio) we are planning a homebirth. I just needed to see the midwives up there so they can "refer" me to the high-risk doc in Idaho Falls. If the baby has the antigen, though, i am hoping to use the midwives up there- my friend who is a doula down here recommended them.

Erin said...

Hey, if I end up using them, I'll have to come knitting on appointment days! :D

Monica said...

Praying for baby Spud every night. Thanks for the update. Certainly continue to keep us posted. I feel for you, it must be so scary not knowing. We send our love!!

birthright midwife said...

Hey Erin, You look absolutely wonderful. Better than I have ever seen you as a pregnant gal. All that hiking and skiing is paying over with that new "hottie mom" bod that you are struttin'.

I miss you, let me know how the appts. go and thank you for the chat last night. It really helped.

Michelle said...

Looking Beautiful! Praying for spud.

Monica said...

And I echo the masses, you look GREAT!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Nice shirt :)

I'm not worried, I know everything will be fine. But, you and "Ms." Spud are in my prayers!

Elizabeth said...

You look great - way better than any 18-week preganant momma should be allowed to! All of you are in our prayers as well.

Unknown said...

Since your little girl is due in June .... around my birthday, I'm donating my name to the cause. ;-)~