Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Update on Baby Adelle

Well, for the first news: Adelle is currently looking just fine. She isn't photogenic, something her Daddy is going to have to break her of after she is born. Unlike her brothers, she isn't terribly cooperative with the ultrasound tech getting a profile of her face. I kinda like this stubborn streak in her, though. Kind of like she is saying, "Alright, look in here if you want, but I am not doing anything cutesy" Her organs all looked good: 3 vessel cord, heart, kidneys, diaphragm, spine. She is growing just like she should.

They did an MCA doppler to check for anemia. The description: The sonographer locates the cerebral artery in the baby's brain. They isolate a section of it for a few seconds at a time to check the rate of the blood flow. Then they plot a point according to what the velocity was and what her gestational age is. She is currently on the line between the "check every 1 week" and "check every 2 or 3 weeks" but is firmly out of the transfusion range. So until we know more, we are checking every week. I am hoping by next week she bumps down into the "check every couple of weeks" category.

And here is the kicker: after talking with the doctor, we decided not to do an amnio today. Because of the way she is laying in there right now (breech, with her big ol' noggin at the top) and the fact that the placenta is up at the top there with her, he couldn't get as good of an angle for an amnio as he would have liked. He said he could do it, but that if we waited a week or two that hopefully the placenta/the baby would shift and make for a easier, less risky entry for the needle. So until then we are going to monitor through the MCA dopplers. A trade off, to minimize the risk.

I admit that I cried. Not because I am really wild about getting an amnio but because I really had to mentally prepare myself for today and I just wanted to get it over and done with. But I know that minimizing the risk for her is important, so I am just going to have to sit with the uncertainty and not knowing for a while longer.

So that is our news/not really news. Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers, it is very much appreciated. So we wait some more... and will continue to keep you updated.

5 comments:

Cassie said...

Oy! I've been waiting anxiously for this post. I can see why you would cry. Any idea when you will get the amnio or is it a rather vauge future date for now?

Erin said...

Vague future date :P I have appts scheduled for the next three Wednesdays and he said that the first time there was a good opportunity, we should do it. At least I won't have to anticipate it, right?

And I am coming up to Rexburg to meet with the midwives on the 27th, so we can knit then if that works for you :)

clara said...

I have been keeping you in my prayers, thanks for letting us know about the appointment!

Dana said...

Onery baby, I prayed for you on Wednesday. At least her levels are in the okay range right now, so are you doing weekly sonograms right now?

Erin said...

I sonograms scheduled for the next three Wednesdays. I was looking at the chart, however, and I realized she is actually in the "check ever 2 to 3 week" range if you plotted it at 22 wks and 3d (which is what I was on Wednesday) instead of just 22 wks, so I am going to bring that up next week when I go.