Thursday, March 11, 2010

I finally figured it out!

After several bread baking failed attempts over the last 3 years, I finally figured it out! And the results are delicious. I had been overheating my yeast, apparently. Joe had gotten me a stand mixer for Christmas, so I just throw the ingredients in, it does the kneading, I let it rise and viola! tasty, homemade bread.

4 comments:

Erika Marie said...

these are incredibly impressive. How were you overheating the yeast?

Unknown said...

In an effort to get my butter to melt and my sugar to dissolve, i was making the water/milk too hot before I added it to the yeast.

Angie said...

Yum!!

Elizabeth said...

Someone should tell yeast if it can't handle the heat it should stay out of the kitchen! (sorry, I had to say it!)

Matt was attempting to make pretzels one time using the Kitchen Aid mixer and didn't realize the amount of time stated in the recipe for hand kneading should be scaled down when using a mixer. Needless to say the yeast was sufficiently DEAD when he was done with it. I helped him the second time around with much better results. Live and learn!

Oh, and if you are ever having a tough time getting your dough to rise enough try adding some vital wheat gluten. That helped me a lot when I was having trouble getting the rise I wanted.