Sunday, March 14, 2010

New adventure!

Here it is, friends. My desk. Complete with binders, frame with inspirational quote, basket of pens, highlighters, posty notes and books about birth. Oh, and the Jack-in-the-Box that the kids like to drive me crazy with so I confiscated it so I could study in peace for a bit.
This is where the learning happens. For those of you who don't know, I just started midwifery school last month after going back and forth about when I should start it for the last couple of years. I took the leap and have enthusiastically started my studies. In my former schooling career, what seems like a gazillion years ago, I was quite the procrastinator. I have been known to put off writing 15 page papers until the day before. No longer. I have decided I am not going to be a procrastinator. And since the subject interests me, I think I can do it.

But I am scared. And overwhelmed. And excited. And about 30 different other emotions.

I just want women to have options. I want them to have the opportunity to give birth in the safety and privacy of their home if they choose. To feel safe and supported and to have their space observed. Eh, I could ramble on and on, but instead, I want to share a quote that I resonates with me:

“Unfortunately, the role of obstetrics has never been to help women give birth. There is a big difference between the medical discipline we call “obstetrics” and something completely different, the art of midwifery. If we want to find safe alternatives to obstetrics, we must rediscover midwifery. To rediscover midwifery is the same as giving back childbirth to women. And imagine the future if surgical teams were at the service of the midwives and the women instead of controlling them.”

-Michael Odent, MD

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Looks like you have a great working space. It will be quite an adventure, very excited for you!

Monica said...

How wonderful. I wish you the best and am so happy for you that you're able to be living out this dream you've had. What a blessing.

Angie said...

Hooray! So, ya wanna come to Wisconsin to work? ;-)

Know we'll be praying for your schooling success.

Erika Marie said...

that's a beautiful desk! Target?