Monday, March 28, 2011

Hello, baby.

Consultation with the perinatologist today. Overall, it went well. Got to see little Poppy, all black and white and shadowy. Reassuring, nonetheless. There is only one little person in there, thank goodness. Measuring a little bit big because that is how I grow 'em. (except for Delle. She is just my little peanut).

We talked about the what-ifs and the various scenarios. We are going to do the amnio in a couple of weeks to find out if Poppy has Kell, little c, both, neither. Although I feel like neither is too much to ask for at this point. There was also a little bright spot on the baby's heart that *can* be a marker for Down's so we decided to go ahead and do the chromosomal testing since they are going to be taking my amniotic fluid anyways. The dr. didn't seem alarmed and said that it is seen in normal babies without problems a portion of the time too. They can also take a closer look at it in a couple of months when the baby has a bigger heart.

Stupid anterior placenta. This means the doctor will have to go through the placenta to do the amnio, which has the chance of increasing sensitization if the baby has one/both of the antigens. Bleh. And babies like to face their placenta, or so I've read, which means a higher chance of a posterior baby. BTDT and no. thank. you. Oh, and that also means there is the possibility of it overlaying the cesarean scar and causing problems with detachment, although that isn't a given.

First impressions, I liked the doctor. He answered my gazillion questions, didn't talk down to me, and asked me several times if I had any more questions or anything else I wanted to discuss. Oh, and he didn't try to argue with me about due date, so that is an automatic pro ;)

We discussed care scenarios- monitoring, in utero transfusions, early delivery if necessary. All the sucky but necessary things to think about. I am kind of hoping for the best, but planning for the worst. I don't like to be blind-sided by things so I don't mind going through the various scenarios in my mind.

Honestly (and weirdly), I am feeling very at peace with the whole thing. We'll just take it one day at a time do what we need to do.

7 comments:

Michelle said...

Well thank goodness for a doctor who you feel like is on your side! That's SO important! We'll just keep praying!

Mags said...

Wow Erin that sure is a lot to take in! You do seem very much at peace with it though. We had a a bright spot on the heart of our little one, but the no other markers so we opted to not have additional testing. If you're already having the testing done though...I would've felt more at peace! Good luck with everything. I'll be saying lots of extra prayers!

Erika Marie said...

Well it sounds like a good first appointment and it brought you some necessary peace in all this. I know you know what you have to do-surrender it to God. But that's easier said than done. When that comes, peace will follow. I pray that God will continue helping you and Joe surrender and then rewarding you with more peace.
How exciting though to have 'met' your baby! I'll definitely continue praying, and so will your goddaughter!!

mary said...

you are a strong woman and such a good momma.

j 29:11-13 said...

Wow. You know so much about pregnancy. I didn't understand half the terms you used. Where are you currently at in your studies towards doulahood and midwifery? You mentioned this the other night, i think, but I was distracted because it was in the "if my spouse dies" conversation.

Erin said...

Margaret- you are getting so close! You will be holding that little one so soon :)

CG- I am pretty much at the beginning. There is much to learn :)

Unknown said...

wow, nice to hear about your doc!