Monday, March 21, 2011

Not quite ready to break out the choir yet...

...but pretty close. A couple of posts down I mentioned Adelle was having some sleeping issues. She was sleeping pretty well through the summer and then Sept-Dec she got about a bazillion teeth at once and that went down the drain. She was waking up every 1 and a half to three hours and when I got pregnant, that just wasn't working anymore. Her teething was nearing an end, so we decided to nightwean her. This proved more difficult than I had anticipated. She was still waking up every 1 and a half to 3 hours, but now she wouldn't just nurse and go back to sleep.

So she began sleeping with us. And as I have mentioned before, I have a fickle relationship with co-sleeping I like the thought of it, but in reality, I am a pretty light sleeper and have a hard time falling back sleep. Her last two eye teeth came through a couple of weeks ago so we decided it was time to try something different. Up to this point, Issy had been sleeping in a twin, the boys in a queen and Adelle was starting out in the crib and then coming into our bed. So we bought another twin, the boys have their own beds now. We moved the queen into the girl's room. Adelle starts out in the crib and then moves to the queen with Issy. We figured either she would like sleeping with Issy or Joe and I could take turns sleeping on the queen with her.

She likes sleeping with Issy!

Last night was Night Four and so far, so good! Issy said she asked for her cup a couple of times but that they both went back to sleep quickly. And Issy loves sharing a bed with her- she keeps asking me if Adelle can start out in her bed. The three mornings prior she had woken up for a 5ish o'clock nursing, but this morning, it is almost seven and not a peep :) (Now, I, on the other hand, woke up at at five anticipating her and couldn't fall back asleep. Pavlov's dogs and all that :P)

So yes, I hope that we keep having continued success with this. This makes me feel much less anxious about having another baby. This is probably more information than you needed to know about our sleeping habits, but I am was too excited not to share :D

5 comments:

Monica said...

AAAAAHHHHH this is so wonderful, Erin. It makes me smile. What a blessing!! I've read before that sometimes older siblings are great cosleepers. There you have it! Very cool. I know how it is with sleep, I'm sure this puts your mind at ease a ton. Those stinkin' teeth. Kolbe ebbs and flows for sure. He still sleeps with us about half the night (and nurses on and off) and for now it works. I get more rest that way then trying to get him back to sleep in the rocker or something like that. Some nights are pretty good and some are wretched. I blame teeth totally and completely, but we'll see what the next year brings I suppose.

Patty Arnold said...

so so so glad!!!

Debi said...

What a smart idea, hmmmmm....I may have give this a try at our house. I had to nightwean all my babies after the second one too.

Angie said...

I am already hoping that we can make that transition with our girls eventually. Julia is still a night nurser and hasn't popped any teeth yet at 10 mos. so it seems a long time coming but all things have their seasons. Glad to hear this transition is worth singing about, almost. ;-)

Erika Marie said...

Yay! You are now one of 'those moms' with an 'older' child that is making life with a baby and pregnant just that bit easier. ;)
It seems like things are starting to fall into place after all.
Your system is really quite ingenious-way to go! I hope it continues to work well!