Friday, March 25, 2011

Thank you, Spring.

I am not a winter person. I had this (what should have been a somewhat obvious) revelation last week. Joe pointed out that I was happier and more productive on the nice, springy days we have been having. And looking back, yes, he is correct.

I love Spring. I love fresh air. I love being able to open the windows and feel the breeze blow through the house while I make it beautiful and clean. I love being able to take the kids places without having to bundle them up. Cool Spring evenings bring back memories of falling in Love with a young man who I realized would make a really awesome husband and father and who, for reasons that are sometimes beyond me, thought that I was pretty great, too.

Then comes summer. Summer is ok. Not as bad as winter, but it gets oppressively hot and humid here and it makes me not want to leave the house unless we are destined for some sort of body of water. Which makes my children happy. This will be the third summer in my life in which I will be largely pregnant and that is.... good times. Membership to the YMCA= lots of time at the pool this summer. Although I am not sure what swimsuit will fit over an 8 month pregnant belly?

Fall is pretty lovely though. Especially now that we have trees. Reprieve from the oppressive heat. Mild days where my babies can play outside before the long cold of winter. Piles of colorful leaves, nature walks, leaving acorns for our backyard squirrels to gather.

Winter. Oh, winter. I suppose without winter I would not appreciate spring as much, but man. I try to steel myself against it every year and yet every year, it gets me. January. And February. I think maybe I was meant to hibernate. Oddly, even though winter was really long in Idaho, I didn't mind it as much. At least the snow was pretty and I could go skiing. And the kids liked to play in the snow. It would have been perfect if the snow had finished melting by mid- March instead of the end of April :P

But here I am for now. So I will try to figure out a way to make this work. And I will be grateful for Spring.

2 comments:

Erika Marie said...

yes, I decided also that it is much easier to be happy (thus everyone else can be happy) when it is nice and lovely outside.

I think, since this is your 5th, you should let loose and wear a bikini. :) I'm looking foward to summer pool days. This year maybe Nicholas will not be afraid of the water...

Erin said...

Ha! I am not sure I'll have much of a choice by the end of July. It's ok, my huge pregnant belly can be a cautionary sign to all the teenage girls flitting around in their skimpy bikinis ;)