Monday, September 10, 2012

Journal: Big changes

Today
Out my window: 70. Sunny. Perfect.

Clothing myself in: Jeans, teal T-shirt, grey sweatshirt.

Around the house: Joe had strep throat from Tuesday- Sunday morning.  So not much got done.  He was gracious enough to hole up in the basement playroom with George and Adelle yesterday so that the older kids and I could clean upstairs.  We got a ton done, though there is always morning cleaning to be done. Oh, dog fur, my nemesis.

Now that Joe is feeling better, we need to pick out a chair rail for Georgie's room.

The baby: Had a rough week last week.  He had a really runny nose and was so so grumpy.  I was paranoid because Joe had strep so I took him to the doctor.  And his ears looked fine and his throat looked fine. Just a runny nose.  The grumpy was apparently nose + he cut the last bottom front tooth.  He seems in better spirits this morning, so let's hope that keeps up.

Since Joe was sick and George wasn't feeling well, we ended up not celebrating his birthday on his birthday. I have serious Mother Guilt about this.  We will do it this week.

The kiddos: Issy and Isaac seemed to have had a pretty great first week of school.  They are loving it.  Liam seems to really enjoy having time with me all to himself, as I suspected he would.  Adelle is the one having the hardest time.  Lots of shrieking and meltdowns.  I think she really misses Issy.  We have been doing some preschooly type activities and will start the Alphabet Path next week, so hopefully she will come around.

In the kitchen: Chicken enchiladas tonight.  Homemade pizza- one pepperoni and one sausage/onion. Tuna melts, jambalaya, crock pot chili.

Crafting: Almost done with the body of my $5 in Paris sweater.  Need to decide on the sleeves- short? 3/4 length? long?  Choices, choices.

Bringing me joy: Seeing the joy that Issy and Isaac have about going to school, listening to Liam read, morning walks, watching the squirrels in our woods.

Thinking about: After school is a hard transition which we will have to work on.  George was super scary in the late afternoon last week, Delle was particularly meltdowny, I was trying to listen to how school went, assist with homework, make dinner.  Stress. Any advice from moms who have been there and done that?

Pictures to share: Issy and Isaac on their first day of school at St. Francis Academy.
My sweet (now) one-year-old!

2 comments:

Erika Marie said...

I'm glad everyone seems to have survived the first week of school and George is better! At least he's too young to hold any grudges against you for postponing his bday celebration.

I COMPLETELY understand about the hard after-school time. It's a rough time for us too. I used to have these great ideas about having a nice quiet 'tea time' after school and we would all share about our days together while sipping tea and nibbling on crumpets.
(cue record scratching noise on that lovely scene)
The reality is usually more...noisy. The 2 year old wants food NOW and screams at his older brother about something while the older sister bosses him to stop bothering and then the baby decides he wants in on the action too and instead of wanting to reconnect with my school children I end up throwing everyone some crackers and hiding out in my room with the baby.
On rare occasions, I get my act together before school is over and have a nice snack ready and waiting for when everyone is back. When we get home, I send the school kids to do their 'after-school' things while I nurse the baby and get the 2 year old happy with food or whatever he needs. 'After school things' = wash hands, change, put bookbag and clothes away. This also helps everyone have some 'alone' time to themselves for a few minutes between getting home from school and eating our snack. Or I nurse the baby while they all eat and we talk about the goods/bads of the day. Then we start homework (if they have it) while I either nurse the baby (again or still) and start thinking about/making dinner. The school kids can play outside or inside only after they r done with homework or chores I have for them. By this time Steve's usually back and he helps me get dinner finished by entertaining/laying down the law with the other kids or holding the baby. I don't have perfect system or forumula and it changes everyday. But if I had one word of advice for you it would be "Routines" with "simple" as an adjective to go along.
After school time is an important time to reconnect with everyone but don't set the bar so high you and the kids can make it over. And remember, you ARE a good mother just by being there for them. Snacks are important but your attention and presence is right up there with food. ;)

Erika Marie said...

I hope that wasn't too long and rambly.