Out my window: 61 and cloudy. Forecast says it isn't going to get much warmer today and it is supposed to rain. Glad I got my morning walk in while I could :)
Clothing myself in: Black sweatpants and pink and blue long-sleeved t-shirt. Walking clothes.
Around the house: We were outside quite a bit this weekend, so the house is untidy and we still need to pick out a chair rail. Oh well, maybe we can get it next weekend. These beautiful days will give way to cold months, so I figure we might as well be outside while we can.
The baby: Back and forth. He was good last Monday and Tuesday, crabby Wednesday, Thursday and Friday and good this weekend. His runny nose seems to be improving *crossing fingers* but I think the crabby is about teething. Which means we very well could be in for crabbiness for several months. Oy.
We did get a chance to celebrate his birthday as our little family, along with Uncle Matt since he was here visiting. It was simple and fun.
The kiddos: Second week of school seemed to be better for everyone, adjustment-wise. Still trying to figure out how to stave off the afterschool meltdowns. I think that may always be a work in progress.
Crafting: Knit my godson a hat for his birthday that I need to now mail. I really like how it turned out. I think a finished object post is in order soon. On the bottom ribbing on my sweater. Still haven't decided what to do for the sleeves. Maybe I will start knitting and then decide?
Bringing me joy: A visit from my brother-in-law and the joy it brings my husband, walk in the woods on a beautiful early autumn morning, the beautiful images that a friend captured of my family. So many things to bring me joy.
Thinking about: Still thinking about how This Isn't Who I Really Am. I have been thinking a variation of this pretty much since I got married. It was always this elusive, "things will calm down when____" Some fill ins: the baby is born, school starts, school ends, we are moved, we are adjusted from the move, ____ is out of ___ phase. But this summer I had an epiphany: things aren't ever going to "calm down" at least not for any significant amount of time. We have five kids, we will always be exchanging one set of challenges and excitement for something else.
I really liked this part: "The way I respond to the craziness of my life? That's who I am. This is my life, and this is me, living it. It's time to give up for good the idea that there is some other, calmer me waiting in the wings to deal with some other, calmer existence that may or may not come about."
Pictures to share: Chubby buddy playing with his birthday blocks.
Brothers


4 comments:
That's exciting Fr. Matt came to visit. I'm sure you all had a wonderful time. Great picture of him and Joe. And your family pics are awesome!!
I struggle too with the "when things settle down thing". It seems like life is constantly one phase to the next, whether it's kids or just family dynamics in general. And I fall into the trap too of saying "once X happens then I'll be able to act better." Like you, my response to the craziness is what is key. The thing I struggle with most though is pregnancy. It makes me nuts. Seriously. I enjoy being pregnant, but I despise the person that I am when I'm pregnant. My spiritual director said that it is a good opportunity to let go and realize that it is just beyond my control. And I understand this, but it is sooooo hard.
But aside from that, yes, I make so many excuses about how when my life is normal then I will behave appropriately. But normal now is three kids under the age of five, and that's not going to change anytime soon.
Thanks for sharing that article last week, I really enjoyed it and it has given me a lot to think about as well.
Yes, I finding pregnancy to be mentally, physically, emotionally difficult. I have enough self-awareness to know that I am being crazy but I can't *not* be crazy- it is very compelling. And frustrating. It is like a nine month lesson in surrender.
Yes get outside all you can now this is the best time! You can get out a bit in winter but it's not the same and so much more effort.
I have an affection for Simcha Fischer and her blog. She hit the nail on the head with that article.
Your comment above cracked me up, the compelling phenomena of the crazy pregnant lady. I can relate!
I love the Steubie U t-shirt :) Yay Franciscan!
And I also third the trying to be yourself in the midst of changes. How often have I asked God to take away difficulties untiL I am better-suited to handle them. I think He got/gets a good laugh out of that one!
Post a Comment