Monday, September 14, 2009

The sunrise

Originally written the on September 5, 2009.




This morning, I woke up a little bit before 7, feeling surprisingly well-rested. I unwound myself from Adelle, leaving her to snooze peacefully on our bed with her Daddy. Liam got up at the same time, so I put on a movie for him so that I could go and enjoy my cup of coffee without harassment from my three-year-old. (My boys really like to have "tastes" of my coffee- I made the mistake of letting them try it one time. They always grimace and then say "That is yummy!" through watery eyes.)

I made my cup of coffee and sat on the back porch waiting for the sun to rise (similar to Adelle's birthday, actually). The setting was slightly different. The sun was later in coming over the mountain, what had been green shoots of young barley was now a field of gold. And instead of joyful anticipation, I held several opposing emotions in my heart. Joy at the thought of returning to my family and friends and familiar surroundings. Melancholy for all the things that I would be giving up here that I have truly grown to love- beautiful clear running streams, gigantic mountains rising from the edge of the valley floor, skies full of stars that make you realize how small you are in this big, huge universe, the ability to walk into the forest and just wander around, seeing things you have never seen before even if you have walked the same path dozens of times, the smell of a forest full of pine trees, the sound of the wind making the Aspen leaves flutter. I could go on.

I had no idea when we moved here how deeply this place would effect me. I won't deny how hard it was at first- that first fall and beginning of winter. Long hours at work for Joe, no friends yet, a high-maintenance toddler. But then the friends came, and spring came and joy came back. More than I could have ever imagined. And then we were put in the position of having to leave even though we didn't want to. And then more opportunity came last summer and we got to stay. And more joy! Our very own Idaho Spud, born in our bathtub after a day of hard work and a walk in the woods. And we all fell in Love. How can I leave a place where we became such a good family?

Edited on September 14, 2009: Things were still rather raw a couple of weeks ago when I originally wrote this post. I want to post it because it reflects how I was feeling. How I still am feeling. But I also feel good, optimistic. Idaho gave us the opportunity to become a family that I never knew that we could become. The opportunity to rely solely on each other, to become a more cohesive unit. I am so thankful for that. The growing. The solitude. The beauty.

And so we return a better family. I will miss the mountains, more than I could have ever anticipated. I hope to return to the mountains someday- perhaps slightly closer mountains ;) But for now we go where we are led. With joy.

6 comments:

ArmyWife said...

ok - am i a moron? are you moving back? is this something everyone else knows and i am just that much out of the loop? if so - i'm happy and sad for you! although i dont live as far from home as you, i understand the feelings all the same.

Joseph said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Erin said...

Nope, not a moron :) We just "told" everyone through Facebook so if you didn't check it yesterday, you missed the big announcement. Joe took a new job so we will be Kansas Marneys once again :)

Monica said...

This is such a beautiful post. It brought tears to my eyes reading about the journey and the love your family has shared these past years. My heart is happy and sad for you. I look forward to hopefully getting to know you and your kiddos better when you are back in Wichita. May God continue to bless your journey.

pianomanda said...

You are so beautiful Erin! Thank you for sharing with us. I remember having the same emotions (though not with children yet) as Vince and I moved back to Wichita after 8 months of newlywed bliss in our secluded little MO farmhouse. And my mom has shared the same things you described when we moved back from 3 yrs in Omaha, where my youngest sister was born. It's hard, but you are so much MORE of a family now, in so many ways!!! You'll never ever forget the bonds you made there. And Adelle (aka Spud) will never let you forget, either. :)

Angie said...

Beautiful heartfelt post Erin. You and your family are in our prayers.