Tuesday, May 25, 2010

The Power of Music

I was in the car the other evening, my CD player clicked to change CDs and I heard this song (just click play and listen, you don't have to watch the video):



And all of a sudden, it was May of 2000 again. When Joe and I first started dating we listened to Enya's Watermark a ton. Whenever I hear it it makes me think of a simpler time- before college, before my Mom got sick. Just two silly kids on the edge of adulthood, dreaming dreams and making plans. We'd talk about getting married and having babies. Here we are now-and that song still makes me remember the feeling of being 18 and newly in love.

It's amazing, isn't it? How music can just transport you back to a time? That isn't the only song. The song Boys by Jars of Clay makes me think of right after Adelle was born, driving the kids to the park, mountains on three sides and the smell of pine on the air, that kind of vulnerable feeling that comes with venturing out right after you have added another child to your family.

And there are many others. What about you? Any special songs or albums that make you think of a certain day or time period in your life- good or bad?

8 comments:

Monica said...

"I'm Alright" by JoDee Messina (wow, I just admitted that I used to listen to country) takes me back to simpler times of suntans, flip flops, and summer days hanging out with my sisters and cousins back in the day when the biggest thing I had to worry about was what I was going to wear the next day.

And I am totally with you, a song can take me back in a matter of seconds like nothing else.

pianomanda said...

This is why Music Therapy works, ladies :) The part of your brain that processes music is always the last to "go"... even for people who may be in a coma. :) I really want to go to the Boys to Men concert June 18th... ;)

Monica said...

Very interesting.

Erin said...

I figured you would be able to give some insight, Amanda. That is cool :) Boys to Men! 5th Grade skating party :D

Elizabeth said...

Boys II Men was my first concert way back in 7th grade. Oh, we were so cool back then! Or at least I know I was, I won't speak for you ladies ;)

mary said...

certain weather does it for me. weather therapy-that would be great!

Unknown said...

"Walking on Broken Glass" ... Spring 2000. Road trip up north. And broken hearts. And rebirth. :)

j 29:11-13 said...

Well, besides "Unbreak My Heart" right? This is funny because Enya's fourth album is what I was listening to in 2001 while I was reading Boy Meets Girl and thinking of Jackie, so my brain always goes there. Any of the TEC songs take me back to those weekends and there are quite a few Praise and Worship songs that take me back to Jubilee. Many, many more thoughts on this...but I need to get back to work!