Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Wow. Life is a wild ride.

Recent pic of Adelle- I was playing with Joe's camera

I am having a hard time starting this. Life has taken a very unexpected turn in the last couple of months. The holidays were good- for Christmas, we hosted Joe's family one day and my family the next. We spent NYE together as a family- went out to eat, had Family Movie Night and tucked the littles in bed well before midnight.

I made a rather ambitious plan at the beginning of January to get a bunch of my AAMI assignments done before the end of February. Well, you know what they say about the best laid plans...

On the 7th, I found out I was pregnant with our fifth baby. Wow. Five. I spent most of January and February feeling rather nauseated and exhausted (that first trimester fatigue is powerful stuff- I had remembered it intellectually, but it was even more compelling than I remembered) and trying to integrate the idea of another baby. I am sure it'll all work out, but most days I am not sure how.

The kids are extremely excited about the baby, whose womb name is "Poppy". I had my first doctor's appointment last week. Heartbeat in the 160s, my fundus is where it belongs. Weirdly, I have thought I felt the baby move a couple or three times in the last week, but it would be pretty early (I am twelve weeks).

Unfortunately, I got my bloodwork back yesterday and it appears that now we are not only dealing anti-kell but also anti- little c. I am still in the "self-pity, why me?" stage, so you'll have to excuse me. Why? Why do other women get to have low-risk, get pregnant, pop-em-out pregnancies and mine are such ordeals? Why doesn't my body like my husband's babies? It is just frustrating. I am sure there is some life lesson in here about learning to trust, surrender and blah blah blah. I am not there yet. I am still holding out for a false positive for the anti-little c. I go to the perinatologist on the 28th, so we'll see. Sigh.

Other than those life changing events, life is okay ;) Now that first- trimester haze is waning, we are getting back into more exciting school things (we were strictly reading, writing, arithmetic for a few weeks there- just the basics). Issy and Isaac are doing great- Issy is reading like a little maniac and I can hardly keep up with her! Isaac, too.

Liam has been, erm, challenging at times. Issy and Isaac went through a stage at around 4 1/2 too, so it wasn't entirely unexpected, but given his personality, his manifests a little different. Rage, specifically. Which I find a little hard to deal with at times. There are things that help, but I am hoping the whole thing just passes soon. He is such a sweet, enthusiastic little boy when he isn't being so defiant.

Oh, Adelle. She is amazing. She talks so much, I love it. She says, "Mama, I wud joo" when I put her to bed at night. She is also completely exhausting. We have been going through some sleep issues with her lately and it is driving me crazy. I despair that it won't get better before Poppy arrives, though I am sure it will.

So mostly the word that defines life now is "overwhelming". Sometimes in a good way, sometimes in a bad way, sometimes in a neutral way. At least life is never dull, right?

12 comments:

Patty Arnold said...

much love and prayers. what is anti-little c?

Debi said...

Congrats on your new little one. Our family will be praying for both Momma and Baby. Sounds like the kids are thriving...GREAT JOB!! I always have struggled getting school done while in early pregnancy.

Erin said...

It's another antibody like anti-kell. If the baby is positive for the c antigen, it has the potential to kill the baby's red blood cells, causing anemia.

Michelle said...

I love you Erin :) I'm very excited about the new baby and we will keep praying all these blood issues will be just fine this pregnancy.

Elizabeth said...

Praying for you and baby as you grow together. And for your kiddos that they will be extra good to you during the pregnancy :)

Monica said...

Prayers, friend. Those overwhelming, I'm losing my mind, why me, this isn't fair, my children are driving me crazy moments are hard. And I only have two. God is always there, even though His will and plan are sometimes hard to understand from our vantage point. Keep on keepin' on. Blessings!

Mags said...

Congratulations! Thinking and saying some prayers for you. I admire you for having your fifth especially with all the high risk things. I'm contemplating what we're going to do about subsequent children if my pregnancies continue to not agree with my body!

Unknown said...

Thinking about you and your family. I was jealous when I read your facebook status that you were expecting again and yet I had to remember that my plate is full right now and will just send all the happy vibes I can muster your way :)
I bet you did feel baby moving. I could feel my last 2 very early when I knew what to "listen" for.
Take good care and hugs to you!

Angie said...

My prayers are headed your way. Glad to get an update.
BTW- That shot of Adelle is ADORABLE and I really like your blog's new look.

Michelle said...

Oh Erin! I can relate on so many levels to this post. The words about pregnancy have come out of my mouth more times than I can count. Ira (almost 5) is the intense, ragey type when he gets upset too and some days, like today, it has been just overwhelming. Cry in front of Andy's aunts and cousins? check... Motherhood, although rewarding, is an exhausting job sometimes (and I only have two.) Luckily God's lap is big enough to hold all of us exhausted mothers.

Erika Marie said...

Love and prayers my friend. You can't do this. But God can.

bionicsquirrel said...

You are on my mind, friend. Sorry to here of the new little hiccup in the pregnancy.
"If" one believes in Karma, could there be a possibility that you were some sort of queen insect in your past life, making babies by the millions without complication? Perhaps you are on your way to enlightenment with all these preggo complications. I am looking on the brightside here. :)