It is funny, because (of course) the days following this post have been more challenging. George is uncomfortable in some capacity (teeth? ears?) and has been sleeping poorly, so it adds sleep deprivation to dealing with a grumpy baby. And dealing with challenging situations when I have not had enough sleep is my waterloo. I haven't done too poorly, I suppose, but that is mainly because Joe was around this weekend to help. We will see how this week goes.
I am fairly certain that I can't do it under my own power. Under normal circumstances, maybe. Like, one whiny kid at a time, I have had a perfect night's sleep? Sure, I think I can keep a positive attitude. Poor sleep, grumpy baby, whiny toddler, all the challenging things piled on at once? I don't know. Perhaps God would like me to rely on him more in this endeavor? How? More prayer? Much to muddle through...
Also in the comments section of the last post, Mary Elizabeth brought up a good point. She said, (I hope you don't mind me quoting you, I can take it down if you wish) "On the same lines, it kills me that the more I do nice things for them -
go out of my way to plan something extra special, or give them a
special treat - are they GRATEFUL!?!? Maybe they say thank you, I will
give you that, but OFTEN they turn into little terrors, DEMANDING more!!
It makes me want to be strict and "no fun" all the time, just so they
behave better and don't whine! (Cause most of the time, "you get what
you get and you don't throw a fit!" :))"
Yes, we have had that scenario play out in this house. The weekend before Joe left for Wisconsin while we were staying in Kansas, we decided to have a fun, family night. Pizza for dinner, movie night, special treat. And a child (who shall remain nameless) had the nerve to throw a fit that he wanted to do MORE! FUN! THINGS! when the night had come to a close and it was time to go to bed. I admit, I was seriously irritated. I mean, come on, Kid, what more do you want?
It makes me think about how many times I have been this way with God. He has given me more than I deserve (much, much more. And that is still an understatement.) and still I ask for more. Actually, many of the unsavory behaviors my children exhibit (lack of self-discipline, selfishness, unkindness) are just reflections of me. I ask them to be patient, to be kind and feel exasperated with them when they are not. But I am sometimes unkind and often impatient. Sooo... yeah. I apparently need to hold myself to the same standards I hold them. If I do, perhaps I would find that they naturally follow?
5 comments:
That last paragraph is SO true for me as well. I find that some of the things that bug me most that Ira does are really things that I myself am awful about doing as well. Humbling.
My kids too have been a healthy dose of humility when it comes to self reflection. And you're so right in corrilating it to how we treat God! And how God certainly has to be a part of it if we want to 'make' this day something glorifying to Him.
I feel the same way, Erin! I feel like we are so blessed, but I find myself constantly asking God for MORE. It puts it all in perspective. Gianna has a hard time with patience, just like me. But when I do better she seems to do worse. It's maddening! Anyway, rant over, great post, again!
I am flattered to be quoted :)
And I completely agree with you again. For lent, one of my resolutions was to "not raise my voice without a good reason" (for example, the 2-year-old is about to run into the street). I generally consider myself fairly patient and good with my kids - just need to "fine-tune" a little - you know. Well, I told the kids my resolutions and I was humbled on the very first day of lent as they pointed out me breaking this resolution - at least 2 or 3 times - before 8:30am! Again and again they would point out how I had just broken this resolution. I think I seriously just blocked out how often I raised my voice to them! What was I teaching them with this behavior? That being loud gets done what you want? Eeek!! No wonder I don't yet have those quiet, gentle children I have been praying for.
We are definitely all "works in progress!"
Forget I didn't actually comment "out loud" yet. I loved this and definitely related to you and Mary Elizabeth! James, the 2 year old, has been especially ungrateful lately. "What else do you want from me boy!!", is what I feel like asking him. And yes, God gives me EVERYTHING and yet I still am not satisfied or grateful. I hate when my kids humble me. ;)
Post a Comment