And now, no. He slept kinda bad when he first two teeth were coming in, understandably. Then things got ok again. And then last week, oh my.... I don't know what happened. I thought it was his ears, or maybe his teeth because he wasn't sleeping well during the day, too and he was pretty cranky when he was awake. But now, he really doesn't seem uncomfortable. Just sleeping poorly. Like, in the middle of the night, when he would normally just nurse/sleep, he nurses and then gets all flail-y. Doesn't really want to nurse, doesn't want to be put down, most of the time. Sometimes wants to rock. In the middle of the night. He's been getting up between 4:30 and 5:45 most days, just to play for an hour.
Oy, it is wearing me out. Last night, I watched the clock every time he got up, out of morbid curiosity. This is how the night went:
- Nursed down pretty easily at 7:30. Slept until 10:40 (I should note that him sleeping all evening is extremely rare. Most of the time, he is up every hour to hour and a half in the evenings.)
- I nursed him for about 15 minutes in the recliner in his room, he was really restless and didn't make the transfer to his bed.
- Joe, mercifully, put him back to sleep and kept him until 12:20. He nursed and we dozed peacefully in bed until about 1:00, when he got restless. I put him in his crib and he slept until 2:00.
- At 2:00, he nursed for about 15 minutes and then slept in his crib until 3:10.
- At 3:10, I tried to sleep with him, he nursed and was flail-y until I put him down at 3:30, where he slept until 5:00.
- I tried to nurse him back to sleep at 5:00, but no. I tried to rock him back to sleep, also no.
- I took him out to the living room, he played with some toys, pooped and I changed his diaper.
- Nursed him back to sleep at 6:00. He slept till 7:00.
- The end.
So I am feeling kind of tired. And I wish I knew what was going on, so I could help him (and me and Joe) sleep better. Developmentally, he has done a lot in the last month. He cut his first two teeth, started crawling, and sitting unassisted within a weeks time. He is also pulling himself up a lot more these days. He started eating solids, which he seems to like- no reactions, his poop is still pretty much the same, no rashes or anything.
I don't expect the answers or anything. I know this will pass. My 9,7,5 and almost 3 year old sleep mostly without our assistance every night. But man, when you are in the thick of it, it sure seems like it will never end, doesn't it?

8 comments:
He texted me earlier telling me he was getting back at you for making him wear a tie. Don't mess with Georgie.
But seriously, sorry friend. It is torture when they do that.
Well, if it payback for the tie, it is totally worth it. Look at that cute little man chub.
All three of my kids were different on the sleeping front. My now almost 3.5 year old was just like George. I hate to tell you, but she didn't sleep through the night until around the time she turned 3. It just was how she was wired. Exhausting and frustrating. Hang in there.
I agree. How could one so cute cause so much trouble? But hang in there - as everyone's grandma once said, "This, too, shall pass." (Although, I agree that when you are in the thick of it, it feels like it is going on FOREVER!!!) But look at this great opportunity to build virtues - such as patience, endurance, gentleness, kindness, etc - all because of your increased sensitivity due to no sleep. God can be so thoughtful sometimes can't He? :)
I both love and hate the "This too shall pass" mantra. I love it because it makes me realize that it will, ahem, pass. Yay! But I hate it because what that little "comforting" phrase doesn't tell me is WHEN it will pass, or HOW LONG I will have to endure. The tricky sleeping, it's no fun. Hang in there, friend, you will all be in my prayers!
http://youtu.be/UJKythlXAIY
check out this youtube video. i wanted to post it this morning but couldn't link it on my phone. it's funny that mary elizabeth said "this too shall pass" because that's what i was thinking. the link is for ok go's "this too shall pass". it appeals to my band nerdiness.
Yeah, this period with George is reminding me a lot of Liam. He didn't really start to sleep "on his own" (not even then, really, because he would often join is in our bed during the night, but he was silent and I could just turn over and go back to sleep, so that counts) until he was about 3? I was kind of hoping that I wouldn't have to do that ever again, but what can you do about it?
Ug, so sorry you are having to go through this "this too shall pass" phase. I like your comment about that Amy! I know it will pass but when I'm IN it, it really really sucks!
Erin it seems not too long ago you were the one encouraging/comforting me about James and his horrible sleep non-patterns. And now, albeit a few upsets, he really is sleeping better and that too did pass. Alas, we'll be starting over again here soon. Is there a way to keep this baby in me perpetually without being uncomfortably pregnant?
I will pray for you to have the strength (physical, emotional, spritual) to survive this time with him.
Post a Comment