Tuesday, August 28, 2007

I miss my Mama

Six years ago today my Mama was born into eternal life. She had been diagnosed with cancer a year earlier, and we had found out in July of 2001 that the cancer was terminal. She died surrounded by all her closest family, praying her into the next life. She was a gentle woman, a quietly devout Catholic, would do anything for her family and loved her grandbabies so very much. She loved Chiefs football and had a striped shirt for every day of the week, and then some :)

I was not quite 20 when she died and i mourn the loss of an adult relationship with her. I was just getting to know her as a woman, as a person. I got engaged the day before we found out that the cancer would take her and she got to see me in my wedding dress a few days before she died. I know she was there with me, in the Communion of Saints when i walked down the aisle to my husband 9 months later. When my daughter was born 9 months after the wedding, i finally understood her. As i looked at my Issy (named after my mother, Isabelle) i finally understood that fierce protective love that a Mama has for her babies. I talk about her often with the kids. They know that Grandma Issy is in heaven, watching over them. I know she would absolutely love them. I am so blessed to have been born to such a special person.



2 comments:

Michelle said...

Beautiful Erin. You have a way of expressing things the way I wish I could. Love you, Michelle

clara said...

My heart goes out to you today. Your mother sounds like she was a wonderful person. I'm so sorry that she is not here.