Monday, September 3, 2012

Journal: Back from Kansas

Today
Out my window: Twilight. Humid. It started out warm today and then clouded up and rained a little bit.  

Clothing myself in: White T-shirt and blue knit pants. These are my painting clothes...

Around the house: .... because I painted George's room today.  It was a cream color with pinkish undertones.  Boooooring.  It is now sky blue on top and tan on bottom and awaiting a chair rail to separate the two.  I really like the color combo so far. 

The baby: Has a cough :(  He got the sniffles right before we went to Kansas, had a high fever last Thursday and Friday and then it went away.  And now he has a cough and is kinda grumpy.  BUT! Three more days until his birthday.  I am praying he feels at least a little better by then.

The kiddos: Tomorrow is The First Day of School.  Ever. The uniforms are ready, the bags are packed, everyone is excited and nervous.  Including me.  I hope it is a good experience for everyone involved.

In the kitchen: Now that we are back from Kansas and the kids are starting school, I need to reign my kitchen in.  I need to make a menu and go to the store sometime in the near future.  

Crafting: I finished Issy's Pinwheel Sweater (similar to this one I made for Adelle).  It is beautiful and I love it.  I just need to put the buttons on it and wash/block it.  I am chugging along on the $5 in Paris sweater for myself.

Bringing me joy: The makings of a beautiful room for my little boy, hugging my husband after being apart for a few days, seeing my kids play nicely with their cousins and Kansas friends.

Thinking about: As I was painting George's room this afternoon, I was thinking about Labor Day last year. I had had contractions all the Sunday before and they petered out that night. I woke up on Labor Day still very pregnant.  We went to a lovely brunch at Joe's parents house and it was just a beautiful, relaxing day.  Around dinnertime I started having contractions again.  Contractions that ended up bringing me my boy the next morning.

This Labor Day I spent painting his bedroom in our own home.  In Wisconsin.  Last year, Wisconsin wasn't even a blip on my radar- I couldn't had even imagined this a year ago.  Life is a wild, wild ride.

Picture to share: Boys and Adelle climbing a tree at Grammie's house.


5 comments:

Michelle said...

Yay for finishing the pinwheel sweater! Can't wait to see George's room when it is finished. I'll say a prayer that George's cough gets better. We really enjoyed our visit and I will be looking forward to hear how the 1st day of school went. Love you!

Monica said...

Great post. It's amazing how things can change in a year, isn't it? The colors in George's room sound nice, can't wait to see pics. We have a chair rail in our "big kids'" room and there is kind of a brown on the bottom and, um, a cream color with pinkish undertones on the top. Heh heh. But we picked it out so we're happy with it. ;-D

I like the random paintbrushes in the picture. My kids loooooooove "painting".

Blessings on the first day of school.

Monica said...

...and by the way, I really like the journal idea. I may jump on board with it at some point...

Jackie said...

Aw, another great post. Crazy, crazy about the difference a year can bring, but God is good through it all!
I hope you can all settle into a good school year routine.
And lastly,kuddos to you for painting with children around. It majorly stresses me out. I am loving all the color combos for the rooms you guys have painted. You guys have always had awesome wall colors.

Erin said...

Monica- My dislike of the paint in George's room was also because it was eggshell finish and looked gross about 2 minutes after we moved in. Light-colored paint+ eggshell finish+ my children's grubby little hands= yuck. The paintbrushes- we found during our May visit that the kids had a really good time with a bucket of water and paintbrushes. Like, hours of entertainment. And who can argue with easy fun like that?

Jackie- the painting was made possible by Joe's help. He watched the kids and cooked all three meals yesterday so that I could spend all afternoon on the project. It was great.